what do we need to know about roof flashings?

Project updates and progress reports
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: what do we need to know about roof flashings?

Post by phil »

I got up there on the weekend and continued stripping shingles. I knocked down most of the other half. still no pics but I'm making progress. I did one dump run and looks like I have another soon. I'm still a little freaked put by the heights but keeping myself tied off. Ive got more than half the membrane on and once I complete that it can take a bit of rain but the forecast calls for more hot sun.

I'm doing it in bits and pieces. my plan is to finish putting on the membrane and get the trash to the dump. a bit more flashing which is slow as access to some of the spots is a bit scary for me. Once I have the membrane and flashing on I want o add a bathroom fan vent, maybe a couple of square vents near the peak. Im deciding if I want to do a vented ridge cap or maybe just more vents. the vents are cheaper. the ridge vent might look nicer.
I can start shingling the whole side once that's done. Ill see how I do with time and when I get to the second side. the roof is sort of split because it has two different pitches so maybe I can break that side in half.
as always things take me longer than I anticipate but oh well I keep just thinking Ill do an hour and once I get going I do what I can. If I try to keep to a schedule it just stresses me out. a bit each day, I can't go like a machine in this heat.

phil

Post by phil »

last night I posted on craigslist a want add for more shingles. Its not enough to finish but by morning It did surface three more bundles and some roof paper for 50 bucks, cool saves a litlle money ;-) I think I got lucky because they seem to be the most common color and brand here. a more heritage and unique green or red shingle or real cedar shakes would be neat but my objective is keeping the price down.

I found another trick with Lowes, they are offering a 15 percent discount to sales over $100 so I just buy what I went there for and then add a bundle or two in there to get my discount. saves 15$ so why not.

in the end Ill know exactly how many more I need and I can buy the rest new.

phil

Post by phil »

yay I got more shingles of the right type and color. about three bundles and she threw in some rolls of felt and some three tab ones that I can use as starter strips. She was happy to get $50 for her extra materials, they had finished doing the garage adn I was happy because it was about half price what retail is.

I had my roofing brackets on the remaining portion of the side of the roof Im attacking. I had to leave it a couple of days until I felt like trying to get the drip flashing up near the peak. instead of removing the roof brackets to get the membrane down and then returning to put the flashing on without my roof brackets I just did a couple of feet of the membrane so I could put the flashing overtop. Then I was able to remove the roof brackets. I'll put them lower down now so I can strip the rest of that side. the problem that I had at the other end was that I had removed the brackets to lay the membrane and then I didnt' feel safe without them to put the flashing on near the peak.

it looks like Ive got a few more days of mucking around with flashings and the membrane but once I get putting new shingles on It will feel like I'm getting somewhere. it'll be fun packing the shingles up there ;-) I left this morning and watched the house across the street, they used a big crane truck to lift them up. I feel like telling them to slow down or to try to hijack the crane. they had another crane over at the other new build lifting materials. both are within a block and moving up at lightening speed with their gigantic particleboard mansions. I feel sorry for their neighbors. one got so dwarfed that it probably really hurt his property value.

I thought about it last night, there was really no time between the smashing of the old house and building new so I guess they probably had the plans and permits before they started so it probably hit him by surprise and by that point he probably couldn't dispute the plans since they would have already been approved at city hall.

phil

Post by phil »

another weekend gone and a bit further ahead. I got almost all the remaining shingles off. this is just half the roof. I'm not going to open up the other half until I have the first half shingled.
I got most of my roofing membrane on. I think I have 3 more pieces 3'x 25' to do and I have to move my roof brackets again to reach those areas and to uncover where I need to nail.
Sunday I did another dump run. so far it was 2 loads about 1000 lbs each and that was one layer. I found it easiest to just scoot them off to the ground and then pick them up. renting a bin would be easier if you did it all in one go but I'm just taking them in my trailer since I didn't want a bin for too long. we might see some rain towards the end of the week so I'm going to try to finish installing the membrane during my evenings this week and hopefully that will protect me in case it does decide to gush. its been so hot that there is no way I can do much during mid day.
my time is a bit limited because for safety, I didn't really want to work on it while i was the only one home. Its OK because if I try to go like a machine I get fatigued anyway. I guess the neighbors are close enough to hear me yell if i did fall in my harness but I'm not taking chances. wow this is a lot of work ! ;-)

phil

Post by phil »

I’ve been roofing
The stripping taking to dump applying membrane and shingles. It’s a huge job for me but it’s coming.

I was lucky to get a little winch free from Craigslist and I made it so I can lift my shingles to the peak. I’m just lifting 1/2 bundle at a time it’s not a commercial machine but it is nice not to have to pack them up a ladder

The roof jacks or roof brackets are a huge help it’s really hard to work on a 45 degree slope without them. I’d say it takes a lot longer needing them as opposed to having a walkable roof but I feel much safer when I use them as opposed to just hanging onto a rope.

I bought a good rope and rope grab so I can adjust the length of my safety line. It took a month to come through amazon so o ended up buying the rope grab locally. It’s a huge help now I’ve got that sorted out.

It’s coming but I’ve got 4 days left and still most of the roof to shingle. I’ll get as far as I can.

If I hired this out it would have caused so much financial stress and I’m well on my way but it does look like I’ll probably have to take a break from the climbing and do the other half next year as rains will start in a month or so most likely
Attachments
A4ACFE4C-D322-413B-BB52-C90678FA3606.jpeg
A4ACFE4C-D322-413B-BB52-C90678FA3606.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 726 times
F78F8CFD-923E-435F-B7FB-F634E1168BBA.jpeg
F78F8CFD-923E-435F-B7FB-F634E1168BBA.jpeg (1003.42 KiB) Viewed 726 times
4A42F0C7-56AC-41AE-B37A-7DD4A7A0C07D.jpeg
4A42F0C7-56AC-41AE-B37A-7DD4A7A0C07D.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 726 times

phil

Post by phil »

Way too many nails in that one shingle lol
The factory recommends 6 nails per shingle on steeper slopes. Lower slopes use less. I don’t want them coming loose if I walk on them but the one shown was nailed too much.
These shingles stagger so that the gap of the overlying shingle is 10” from the right of the one you are nailing so I will try to keep my nails a couple inches from the place where there will be a gap.
If they go in a little too low they show. A little too high they miss the part where the shingle is stronger. The directions show optimum placement but it seems funny they put one an inch from each end then the other four not with equal spacing but they put two then another two with each pair only an inch apart.

Oh well they might vary a little but I’ll try to get the right pattern going. Takes practice

phil

Post by phil »

I’m just doing a half a pack at a time. Carrying full bundles down the steep slope is crazy for me but depends on your strength, and bravery level;)

It’s hard to see mut I have a short ladder and then steps up the roof on roof brackets I’ll leave them until it’s the last area. so getting myself up to the peak is easy

You can see in the pics the sled I made and the simple spacer of basicly two 2x4 so that the rails of the extended ladder are on the same plane.
No wheels needed it’s just a loose fit on the ladder so it can slide easily

I could build it all out of aluminum with steel cable and make it lift more but it’s dine just for the job I need. They get hot sitting up there anyway
Attachments
C83D7B88-1496-468A-AC1E-57DE95D91D9C.jpeg
C83D7B88-1496-468A-AC1E-57DE95D91D9C.jpeg (871.34 KiB) Viewed 721 times
E7848C91-94CF-44F5-A203-C9C4A45FAF43.jpeg
E7848C91-94CF-44F5-A203-C9C4A45FAF43.jpeg (829.58 KiB) Viewed 721 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, what a nifty set up. Some thing you had seen in the past or some thing you came up with? I know they make shingle elevators but they were all stand alone units, none (I have noticed) used a ladder for a base.

phil

Post by phil »

I just remembered a commercial one. My dad ordered shingles with rooftop delivery and they brought a gas powered machine. It resembled a ladder.

I just came up with the idea had it in my head. someone posted the winch for free on Craigslist
He wanted to know what it would be used for so i explained what I wanted it for.

When we met, turned out he had a brand new looking electric wheelchair I think he was using it to pull himself up a ramp or something before
So I asked if I can do any work for him or if he needs a ride I have a wheelchair can do hoping I can help him back in return for the freebie

I checked on I tube and some had made ones with car winches or by pulling the rope with a tractor or something
Lots seemed to use wheels and make sophisticated setups and many weee made to lift multiple bundles. Some use gravity with the weight of a man riding a platform down to pull a bundle up.

I’m happy with its simplicity I could make mounts and a sled from aluminum with limit switches but I just need it for my one use. Seems to be working fine for my needs

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Phil, I think with your skills you might just be a natural for Scrapheap Challenge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapheap_Challenge ;)
Mick...