New projects from summer and fall

Project updates and progress reports
nhguy
Stalwart

New projects from summer and fall

Post by nhguy »

I figured I'd share some pictures of projects over the last year outside the house. My wife and I designed a new front entry using the dormer as a model for a new portico. We are using the stain formula I posted on the siding and BM Aura on the trim. We had to let one contractor go and hire a new one and so far so good on this move. We have all lived through those dreaded contractor delays, right?
Attachments
dormer portico.JPG
dormer portico.JPG (142.45 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
porch before.JPG
porch before.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1038 times

Sara
Been here a while

Re: New projects from summer and fall

Post by Sara »

Looking great! Nice work.

I hate hiring out to new-to-me contractors. But I especially hate looking at a job I paid for that has obvious flaws. Good for you guys in making a change like that mid project.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Sara wrote:Looking great! Nice work.

I hate hiring out to new-to-me contractors. But I especially hate looking at a job I paid for that has obvious flaws. Good for you guys in making a change like that mid project.

When the house was transformed from a Victorian to a Bungalow it looked like my avatar. Then about 1915-20 new owners added the shed porch, which we removed, along with all the scrub and brush that had grown up. The contractor was very sensitive to the style and did a great job, which often hard to find. By the end of summer we'll have the whole outside done.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

isn't that a beautiful porch! I really like the colors too...
sorry about your contractor issues, I think we all have one or two....
....jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

NHguy, that porch looks great, Actually the whole home looks great. Hard to believe this was once a Victorian two story.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Gothichome wrote:NHguy, that porch looks great, Actually the whole home looks great. Hard to believe this was once a Victorian two story.

This postcard is pretty close to what this place was originally. The house pictured had all the Victorian parts removed as well, it must have been the thing to do. I'm using the Sarco putty on all the windows thanks to Heartwood. The new contractor will finish the lattice in the spring and do the shingling on the dormer.
Attachments
high st 03584.jpg
high st 03584.jpg (335.44 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nhguy, to me that pics looks like a nice eclectic Queen Anne. But you are correct, taking the Victorian out of the Victorian homes was the thing to do in th early part of the 1900’s, at least if you wanted to keep modern and up to date.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Love the colors.

Also, seeing the drip cap reminded me we might need to make some when we finally get rid of the AC shingles.

Really nice looking as it develops, nh. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.