Unpainted trim and replastering

Project updates and progress reports
nhguy
Stalwart

Unpainted trim and replastering

Post by nhguy »

I'm about to embark on re-plastering our hallway with natural wood trim. I used painters tape on all the trim edges. Do any of you have any tips and tricks to share on this front? Thanks in advance.....

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Unpainted trim and replastering

Post by phil »

what sort of info are you looking for . is this for tips on re-coating the plaster? are you trying to get a new layer to bond to the existing plaster? are you using drywall products like mud? Normally I'd remove the trim and surface the walls then install the trim but I know some like to work around the trim. some fear breaking it during removal. I'm stripping my trim so it wouldn't make sense to do that in place for the sake of a few nails.

What sort of info are you looking for exactly?
Phil

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Lime will turn pine a nasty color, and darkens oak, cherry, walnut; protect it.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I could remove the trim, but there are seven doorways in this space plus two sidelights at the from entryway. This is the first time I've had to re-plaster up to natural trim, the part of the house I worked on first had painted trim. I finished plaster washering everything and rolled a bonding agent on the walls today. Tomorrow, I'll start skim-coating the walls. The walls in this place have always been wallpapered and each room has many layers of the stuff. Two more rooms after this, ugh.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

All part of the fun nhguy, some jobs are just a little more fun than others. If it makes it more palatable, just think how nice your work will look once completed.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

nhguy wrote:I could remove the trim, but there are seven doorways in this space plus two sidelights at the from entryway.

It will depend on how your house was built, but I strongly vote to leave the trim alone. Some houses are built so that the trim is applied first, then the lath and plaster is applied after. Removing this trim usually results in more damage than leaving it alone.

I don't have any experience with plaster or joint compound v.s. old varnished surfaces. My only concern would be that whatever tape you are using does not pull the varnish off.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

front entry
front entry
Front Entry.JPG (592.82 KiB) Viewed 902 times
]Willa,
This place has the trim over the plaster rather than embedded like I'm used to. I think I'll leave it in place and continue to tape the edges to keep the plaster off it.
Gothic,
I hear you on some jobs being easier than others. This actually very easy compared to others I've tackled over the years.
My hope was one of you smart innovative people would have a quick and easy fix for me. Those almost never exist when it comes to old houses.
I'll send progress pictures as I go along. Here's the front entry before I removed the wallpaper

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Look forward to seeing the end results nhguy. Nice vestibule door by the way.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

what a beautiful entrance. I find it only takes a minute for each bit of trim and then it's easier than working around it for the finishing and painting, but you can go whichever way you are comfortable with. If it's an exterior wall with no insulation I'd probably just insulate and then drywall it. but if you like the plaster and if the insulation isn't a factor for you then maybe it's faster just to keep it there. I need the sound insulation so I also like to have the trim off so I can pack any holes with insulation to block the street noise.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

phil wrote:what a beautiful entrance. I find it only takes a minute for each bit of trim and then it's easier than working around it for the finishing and painting, but you can go whichever way you are comfortable with. If it's an exterior wall with no insulation I'd probably just insulate and then drywall it. but if you like the plaster and if the insulation isn't a factor for you then maybe it's faster just to keep it there. I need the sound insulation so I also like to have the trim off so I can pack any holes with insulation to block the street noise.

Hi Phil, Since I'm half way or more through the plastering with trim on, I'll keep plowing ahead in the hallway. The living room is next and has two triple windows and a single sash, I'm going to take the trim off them to insulate. There are three layers of wallpaper that needs to come off next, then the wall repair. There was some plaster damage when we had the walls insulated 18 months ago, it actually blew one sconce off the wall. Each job here is different, so a bit of a learning curve, but we all know that.