Update on the porch

Project updates and progress reports
cw3424
Just Arrived

Update on the porch

Post by cw3424 »

It's been 5 months since we bought the old house and after making lists of what needs to be done, we attacked the porches first. If these photos don't show up (which seems to be a user issue with me) I'm updating on instagram at cw3424. That seems to work for me.

IMG_9975.JPG
IMG_9975.JPG (887.94 KiB) Viewed 524 times

IMG_9974.JPG
IMG_9974.JPG (970.44 KiB) Viewed 524 times

IMG_9969.JPG
IMG_9969.JPG (807.35 KiB) Viewed 524 times

IMG_9968.JPG
IMG_9968.JPG (893.14 KiB) Viewed 524 times

IMG_9966.JPG
IMG_9966.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 524 times

nhguy
Stalwart

Re: Update on the porch

Post by nhguy »

I thought my upcoming porch project was going to be a big job, when the weather clears next spring. That's a whole lot of porch you've got there. I'm sure it will be amazing when you're done, sipping a well deserved iced tea no doubt.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

All those individual lights surrounding the double entry makes for a stunning entrance.

Those timbers on the porch, though! Wow. How have most of them held up? One of the homes we almost bought had a few timber supports we could see in the cellar.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Your house is magnificent. I can almost smell the jasmine.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

CW, looks to one hell of an undertaking. But maybe best to get all done at once. I noticed there had already been some repair in the pst, dimensional lumber replaced hand hewed beams. Do you think all the decking was replaced at that time, or was it just a localized repair?
What are your plans for the rebuild, all new or deal with the original beams?

cw3424
Just Arrived

Post by cw3424 »

We are in a holding pattern waiting on materials at the moment. In the meantime we have removed the siding from the west side of the house, replaced rotten supports, rewired the electrical, insulated and are ready for plywood and tyvek then new siding. The columns (all bases pretty much rotten) will be replaced with 12 x 12 x 24' columns that will be "hand hewn" with a chainsaw to mimic the originals. We will reuse what beams we can but some were beyond use. Still, we can use those beams for some other project some day. I think the decking was all replaced at least once if not twice in the lifetime of the house.