A New/Old Addition for the Stone House

Project updates and progress reports
Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

A New/Old Addition for the Stone House

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hi Old Housers. I'm not sure I have a thread about my little stone house in HD. I think I started one in Wavy Glass. Anyway, since we have embarked on a new building adventure with old logs, I figured I'd start a thread dedicated to that process. It'll be a 'deconstruction zone' at first, as we strip, tag and dismantle the log house over this November. Then come the permits, foundation decisions, re-erecting the structure. And then, if we are still alive, decisions and work on the interior. This is the starting line. and here are the As Is pics. It's called the Cox House, after the original builders. Hewn white pine logs, approx. 25' x 25', circa 1840-50. I'll update as soon as we start.
Thanks for checking in, Mal :wave:
cumberland 1 sm.jpg
cumberland 1 sm.jpg (139.23 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
cumberland 2.JPG
cumberland 2.JPG (196.07 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
cumberland 3 (2).JPG
cumberland 3 (2).JPG (136.61 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
cumberland 4.JPG
cumberland 4.JPG (105.95 KiB) Viewed 2467 times

nhguy
Stalwart

Re: A New/Old Addition for the Stone House

Post by nhguy »

What a great addition to you existing home. How do you wire a building like that though? Do you have a foundation already in place?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mal, looking at the sided sides of the home it would look like an old ( maybe run down) cottage home. Stripping back the layers though, it shows a bit of history, that stamped steel siding is some thing I do not see to much of. Did you get that 70’s Ford car with the deal.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

nhguy wrote:What a great addition to you existing home. How do you wire a building like that though? Do you have a foundation already in place?

Hi nhguy. The last time we did this we ran circuits in the spaces between logs and chinked over wiring. Outlest and switches were either carved in to logs or were certified enclosed surface mount boxes. Ceiling lights had wires running along beam/board corners, covered by small crown mldg.

Gothichome--Did not ask for the car, lol. It's still lurking in the weeds.

Here are some update pics: we started yesterday with chainsaws to clear away the brush from the house. Today we pulled off the tin siding panels from one side to expose the logs. Two more sides to go, (one is pretty much exposed as is) Takes forever to pull off the tin....hundreds of nails in it. We found some serious carpenter ant activity due to moisture from a fireplace and chimney added on the right of the side we stripped. May have to replace some logs. Showers of ant frass and fly wings down our necks...ugh. Too wet tomorrow to work. Dumpster ordered, soooo much crap to remove.

Grrrrr can't get pic to attach....will add separately if it lets me. :x

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Nope. http error. Don't know what that means. File is under 150k

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

first side peeled 2 sm.jpg
first side peeled 2 sm.jpg (136.84 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Try boric acid mixed with confectioners sugar puffed onto carpenter ant infected wood. I moved a barn in the early 1990's and this method help clear them out. GL.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mal, try to record things about the cabin for prosperity and in context. I would be interested in pics of the interior layout. A log cabin that old must have a history to tell.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

nhguy wrote:Try boric acid mixed with confectioners sugar puffed onto carpenter ant infected wood. I moved a barn in the early 1990's and this method help clear them out. GL.

Thanks. I've heard of glycol based liquid versions of this. Not sure if the ants are still active but there is one log that will likely have to be replaced.

Gothichome wrote:Mal, try to record things about the cabin for prosperity and in context. I would be interested in pics of the interior layout. A log cabin that old must have a history to tell.

I do take an extensive series of before, during and after shots. This cabin was altered in the 70s, not much left of the original layout or details. :(

first side peeled 3 sm.jpg
first side peeled 3 sm.jpg (806.03 KiB) Viewed 2367 times

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hey all. Today we stripped off the pressed tin and original square-nailed board and batten from the front. We could not believe that the logs underneath were still golden brown. They must have been covered immediately after they were erected. After this post I'll just add the update pics to my photos in the gallery. Cheers...Mal
cox house exposed log front.jpg
cox house exposed log front.jpg (489.59 KiB) Viewed 2333 times