A New/Old Addition for the Stone House

Project updates and progress reports
Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: A New/Old Addition for the Stone House

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hey all....it's been a while I think. At least two dead laptops ago. Just an update from around here... I'm a Grandma now, with a 5 month old grand daughter. Covid times have limited our contact with her and our son and DIL. But recently we've been able to interact and it's so sweet. Our house addition project has evolved in a dozen ways...We are now going to use the logs to build a studio/ driveshed beside the house rather than an attached addition. (so many logistical obstacles) BUT we decided to add a bedroom and bathroom in the existing post/beam addition. We've been sweating on this project for quite a while, but are almost complete. Hope you are all well and Covid-free and enjoying the summer...Mal
canada day 2020.jpg
canada day 2020.jpg (268.49 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
20200629_115121_resized.jpg
20200629_115121_resized.jpg (519.35 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
20200629_115137_resized.jpg
20200629_115137_resized.jpg (279.51 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Last edited by Sow's Ear Mal on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Congratulations, Grandma! I know it's been hard not to lay hands on that sweet baby and I'm so glad you can now.

Good to see you back.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mal, good to hear from you. Congratulations on becoming a grand parent, I’m one four times over. Your task now is to visit them, spoil them rotten and then give them back. A parents revenge.
You mention plans are in flux, Or at least were. You need to post some pics, how you’re going to integrate a studio space and drive shed intrigues me. Hope to see you stop by more often.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Happy news in difficult times. Thanks for the updates, and hope you all stay well.

I did not know what a driveshed was before today. Turned out to be what I guessed when I looked it up. :techie-studyinggray:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hi old housers. We're still here...afixin' and alivin'. Soooo...still have stacks of hewn log beside my driveway. We took down another log house to augment missing materials. However, as I'd mentioned earlier, the addition got complicated with the building dept. They don't share our faith in the old logs and methods...it just doesn't mesh with the stick-frame and chipboard code.. So...the new direction for our efforts is using the logs for a studio (for me) and attached driveshed. We bought a minty 1956 Fordson Major tractor this year, and have been picking up period field equipment for her. (Her name is Flo) Hubby has been gleefully bush-hogging our fallow fields, as I stay back...biting my nails to stumps in fear of ground wasps making me a widow. (Epipen is gripped and ready, in my mitts) Flo came with a snow blower too, and today we are experiencing our first snowfall of the season. Trying to restrain Hubby...the gravel is still visible through the accumulation, and I can just picture having to pick it all out of the lawn, come spring. :roll: Not much new...I have to re-do the finish on my soft old pine floorboards a third time. {dogs} My barn is still migrating piece by piece to my neighbours. Had to pull our good old Vermont Castings wood stove, as it was no longer WETT certifiable. We replaced it with a glass doored standard high efficiency unit. But it's on legs at least, vs a pedestal. And bonus! We should go through firewood at about a third the level before. I'm enjoying reading the further escapades of you historic folks. I'm a few episodes behind...gotta catch up. So...happy Pre-Christmas Season. Wishing you health, safety, and sanity :wave:
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg (198.45 KiB) Viewed 2063 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

My lot is just little, but I still find myself wanting a farm tractor ;-)
My brother bought a massey ferguson, so with covid he's been taking the thing all apart looking for why it leaked so much oil. He pretty much split it in half and it's a slippery slope because then it becomes a restoration. He bought this steel box he can drag around and it came with free shipping even though it weighs 500 lbs or something.

I was wondering if you have to pay higher insurance for a wood stove, They seem a bit over protective with the rules but it may vary by area. Yea they can be so restrictive with the building code and people overbuild stuff and still it wont pass and yet things like sheds they don't seem concerned about much. I keep wanting to build a garage or a garage with a laneway house, but I'm afraid of the rules. maybe its best to get a carpenter to do the foundation and frame it and just get through the initial inspections.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mal, once again good to hear from you. According to Murrey McLaughlin, your Tractor should be red fading to orange due in the hot summer sun?
https://youtu.be/HTMvtII8Elk
Although it is a nice tractor, and needed for an acreage property.
So your old home plans don’t meet with approval of the local regulators, what a surprise! Your allowed to build a drive shed and studio as a separate out building but you are not allowed to make an extension with the same materials. Just doesn’t make sense, at least to me. I look forward to viewing your progress.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

You look right at home astride Flo. I'm glad she's serving your family well. Hopefully there won't be too much gravel to rake out come spring. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

It is a pity about current code wonks not understand how the world can work, but at least you figured out something useful that they agreed to allow.

We've been pretty lucky with not having ground wasps here. *knocks on wood* The closest we have is various bees that go aground, and they tend to prefer being under rocks or in the softer turned soil of our various garden beds.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.