My new love Sarco glazing putty

Project updates and progress reports
nhguy
Stalwart

My new love Sarco glazing putty

Post by nhguy »

My latest project is new spruce siding for the house using my neighbors stain formula once it's up. The wooden storms needed attention and I remember all the talk about the Sarco putty, so I ordered a quart. Let me tell you half that quart was gone in a few hours. It is a dream to work with, I mean dream. The gallon I ordered just came in a few days ago. I have 25 windows almost all have wooden storms, thankfully most of the windows only need cleaning and new paint. Whoever mentioned using the Sarco putty on this forum. Thank-you I am a believer.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: My new love Sarco glazing putty

Post by Manalto »

It's good to see your endorsement of Sarco, it supports what others have said here. I'm planning some marathon window work in December and the choice of which putty to use seems clear. As I understand, there are two types; I'm still not sure which one to use. I also understand that an application of blopentine (boiled linseed oil and turpentine, mixed 1:1) is advisable where there is exposed wood. Should the blop be allowed to sit for a period of time before the putty is applied?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

glad to hear you have experienced the joys of using sarco putty...

there are numerous types of sarco...for wood sash clear glass there are two choices: type m and dual glaze...really, you can use either without issue...type m has some added naptha for assist in drying in a shop setting where there is typically no air circulation (ha, we use fans!)...dual glaze does not have naptha and sets up because the oil in the putty is affected by air circulation in the outdoors...

some window people use latex or oil based primer on the rabbets without blopentine...I feel that applying the blop is a 'best practice'...we oil the entire sash then prime the areas to be painted but do not prime the rabbets as it is unnecessary...once stripped of its old paint, the wood tends to be dry....we use the blop to 'condition' the wood and enhance the fibers...if you applied oil based putty or primer on dry wood, the wood would wick away the oil and early failure may result...

happy sash restoring!
...jade

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Thanks for the tip Jade. I'll pickup some of the blopentine at the hardware store. I primed all the windows with oil primer prior to glazing. You're the expert and I see you mentioned in several restoration sites, so that gives your words on windows weight. I'm using the type M Sarco.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I believe 'blopentine' is a locally-coined word, a 50/50 mixture easy enough, however, to make yourself. But do ask at the hardware store just to see the looks on their faces.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Manalto wrote:I believe 'blopentine' is a locally-coined word, a 50/50 mixture easy enough, however, to make yourself. But do ask at the hardware store just to see the looks on their faces.

Ah I see now. I've used linseed oil and turpentine as a finish on floors for years. I never knew it had a name, but now I know. Thanks for the heads up.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

What ratio do you use on floors? Is it to refresh them, or is that the only finish you use?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yes, it was me who coined the phrase and, I've gotta tell you I get a kick out of others using it...simply put, it's b-l-o for Boiled Linseed Oil and 'pentine' for turpentine...there are all sorts of names for it...the 50/50 doesn't have to be exact...pour and mix in a peanut butter, ball or similar jar with a seal on the cap...shake it a bit and it's ready to go...I use a disposable natural bristle brush (chip brush) with a wooden handle, costs about a buck...after use, I just sit it on top of the blop jar (without a wrapper) until the next time...IMPORTANT: at each of our work benches we have a paint can with water in which to toss the papertowel with blop on it...it will catch fire if rolled in a ball and tossed in the garbage...

apply a liberal coat of the blop, wait a few minutes til it is absorbed and wipe off the excess...you want it to penetrate, not build a film...

and there you have it.......
....jade

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

This is another product not available in my city (in Canada). I looked high and low. I can order it online, but the cost of shipping nearly doubles the cost.
I've ordered linseed putty from Allback instead.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Manalto wrote:What ratio do you use on floors? Is it to refresh them, or is that the only finish you use?

I use a 50/50 ratio of boiled linseed oil to mineral spirits for floors. I've used it on our pine, really hemlock, flooring after stripping them. I only did two coats, let in dry an hour or so then wiped dry. I would imagine you could use turpentine, but it may take longer to dry completely.