My new love Sarco glazing putty

Project updates and progress reports
nhguy
Stalwart

Re: My new love Sarco glazing putty

Post by nhguy »

heartwood wrote:yes, it was me who coined the phrase and, I've gotta tell you I get a kick out of others using it...simply put, it's b-l-o for Boiled Linseed Oil and 'pentine' for turpentine...there are all sorts of names for it...the 50/50 doesn't have to be exact...pour and mix in a peanut butter, ball or similar jar with a seal on the cap...shake it a bit and it's ready to go...I use a disposable natural bristle brush (chip brush) with a wooden handle, costs about a buck...after use, I just sit it on top of the blop jar (without a wrapper) until the next time...IMPORTANT: at each of our work benches we have a paint can with water in which to toss the papertowel with blop on it...it will catch fire if rolled in a ball and tossed in the garbage...

apply a liberal coat of the blop, wait a few minutes til it is absorbed and wipe off the excess...you want it to penetrate, not build a film...

and there you have it.......
....jade

Thanks for the information. The spontaneous combustion I was aware, but I think many don't know the hazard. I lay my rags out flat to dry.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Is Sarco available in brick-and-mortar stores, or only online?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sarco's 'dual glaze' is available in some high end paint stores but in small containers...

dual glaze is designed for use outdoors and type m is for indoors...really, you can use either for indoor or outdoor application...oil products dry through an oxidation process which requires moving air...type m has a small amount of naptha to add in drying...you can use a fan to enhance the drying process indoors...

http://sarcoputty.com/?page_id=73
https://www.srshardware.com/product/sar ... aze-putty/
http://winnmountainrestorations.com/

there you have it......
.....jade

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I have a question about the Sarco M glaze. I have a small amount left in my quart, so will need to dig into the gallon next. The quart was just getting dryish at the end. How do I keep the gallon from drying out in the container? Add linseed to it , repackage in ziplock bags put in the freezer? Thanks

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I'm interested to hear how to keep Sarco soft, too.

nhguy, why the freezer?

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I was thinking it would stop the process of it drying out. When painting with oil based paints you can wrap up your roller or brush for a number of weeks let them warm for a few minutes and get back to painting on a project. I haven't done it many times, but it worked very well. I thought the Sarco in a sealed bag withing my deep freezer would keep it fresh for a long time. I guess we'll have to wait for an answer as to the best approach.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

it is the nature of putty to dry out a bit and/or skin over regardless of how you package it...we purchase 5 gallon buckets and always find a thin skin across the top which must be removed...I use a putty knife to score the putty down the center then, with the knife at an angle, start at the scored line and skim toward the rim of the bucket...just toss it, no saving it...after use, I pat down the putty to a level surface, clean the side of the bucket with turps, lay a single layer of papertowel over the top then add water so the PT is completely soaked...you can skip the papertowel and just add enough water to cover the surface of the putty...the 5 gallon bucket weighs 86 pounds so dumping the water could cause back troubles...you will still have some skinning over if the putty is not used for a week or more...

sarco putty can be frozen...you can leave it in an unheated garage or outbuilding without issue as long as it is thawed completely before use...can say if freezing it protects skin over...

that's my story and it's sticking to me!
...jade

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

heartwood wrote:it is the nature of putty to dry out a bit and/or skin over regardless of how you package it...we purchase 5 gallon buckets and always find a thin skin across the top which must be removed...I use a putty knife to score the putty down the center then, with the knife at an angle, start at the scored line and skim toward the rim of the bucket...just toss it, no saving it...after use, I pat down the putty to a level surface, clean the side of the bucket with turps, lay a single layer of papertowel over the top then add water so the PT is completely soaked...you can skip the papertowel and just add enough water to cover the surface of the putty...the 5 gallon bucket weighs 86 pounds so dumping the water could cause back troubles...you will still have some skinning over if the putty is not used for a week or more...

sarco putty can be frozen...you can leave it in an unheated garage or outbuilding without issue as long as it is thawed completely before use...can say if freezing it protects skin over...

that's my story and it's sticking to me!
...jade

Jade, Thanks so much. I have a gallon and I'll probably go through another quart or two before I'm done for the season. It worried me that I might find the balance like a rock come spring. I'll try the water method and hope for the best.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I neglected to include this info:
when you first open a bucket of sarco putty, you will notice the linseed oil has risen to the top...you have a couple of options...tip the bucket over a day or two before opening then tip it right side up the night before you use it...this should let the oil mix through the putty...though it's a good idea, I don't usually remember to do it cause there are so many other things to tend to...instead, I remove what I need and roll it on a piece of cardboard which absorbs the oil and I get the right consistency...when you get to the middle of the five gallons, you will notice the putty needs oil, so I add blo...with a gallon, you shouldn't run into this issue...

ta-daaa...