From MCM curtains to 1939 shades

Project updates and progress reports
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: From MCM curtains to 1939 shades

Post by Lily left the valley »

So, way back when I last posted, Sean had tried a few variations, we sort of agreed on one. After we took a break, I thought of another, showed it to him, and he liked it, so that was it.

Then....long story short, I got sidetracked by a few bunch of other things, and then remembered that the string on that one neutral valance was different than what was on these prior. So I lost a day trying to remember where that got put (the craft room is half a mess, half still boxed up), then when I found it, I showed it to Sean and he also thought it looked more Craftsman-y, so that's what I really, really, hope to be doing this week.

We also picked up a few thin square wood dowels that I'm going to use to hang them. I'm going to put a bit of wire on those (argh can't remember the name) screws that hold the inside interior trim in place, and hang them that way. I was going to try to do something with regular tension rods, but then it was getting silly trying to figure out the best way to attach some sort of loops to put them on the rod. This way, I can just slide the dowel inside the plastic straws. I went with the square because structurally, the same diameter was a lot stronger than the round. It's not that the shades weigh much, it's just that I'm thinking if a wind kicks up, don't want the dowel busting just because of a gust.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Update: this project is not dead, I just ran into a hitch trying to keep tension on the strings for the re-weave. Three groups of eight each.

I just found the box with the tabletop needlework frame we had picked up for free at the end of the town wide yard sale last year, and I think that will do the trick. Hope to be done with these this week! They've been cluttering up my new craft bench too long. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Oh, and did I mention I got a vintage stool the perfect height for the bench? I think I mentioned that elsewhere, probably in my main Beebe thread. :D
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that original picture you posted is so funny,, if you just try to imagine sitting at the little six inch square tables, No room to move either chair back,, wishing the bloody plants weren't there so you could put down a coffee rubbing knees ;-) heaven help you if you need in the drawer for a fork .. lol ;-)

the shades should be fun. I like the colors in the photo,, it feels very warm.

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

I love those shades! Can't wait to see how this turns out!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan