Garage Rehab

Project updates and progress reports
pappster85
Settling in

Garage Rehab

Post by pappster85 »

After a month or two of picking away at the garage, I would say it is done for the time being. The house came with its original garage which in the late 1950's was moved once part of the back yard was sold. Over time rot took its toll along the bottom of the back wall and I would end up with a lake across the floor any time it rained. That has changed! With a new door, electricity, paint, repaired framing, connection to the security system, and windows that open once again I would say it has come a long way from what it was! I often try and imagine what sort of car was in this garage when it was new. A factory foreman for Chrysler built this home, so anything that was "rolling off the line" in 1919 could have sat in the garage. Kind of neat to think about. The odd thing is the side door. I suspect that it was installed in 50's when the awful tilt door was installed. The door is quite old, built with square head nails none the less. It matches nothing else around the home so I wonder who's trash they picked it from back in the day.
Photos Here

Gothichome

Re: Garage Rehab

Post by Gothichome »

Just like your bathroom Pappster, great work. It should stay standing for another hundred years. The fellow who built your home may have worked for the Dodge bros. not Walter P. In 1919. They were parts suppliers for the auto industry. Started manufacturing their own cars in 1914. So it would be my leaning a Dodge was the original occupant of that garage.