Attic renovation

Project updates and progress reports
Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Re: Attic renovation

Post by Jeepnstein »

http://www.lg-dfs.com/single-zone.aspx

This might work well for you. We're going to use them in our downstairs.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

We have so far gotten along fine with just fans. Most people do not use double hung windows properly, so that makes a big difference. They should be open at the top and bottom, not just the bottom. Also, if you figure out which direction your cross breezes go and catch those it really helps. We can get a breeze going from one end of the house to the other and it really cools down. My husband is morally opposed to window bangers. But then again, we were both raised in old farmhouses with no A.C.
Today is my happily ever after.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Anne, that looks great, as mentioned keeping the ceiling open really adds to the feel of space in the room.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I suddenly thought of the AC finding it's way down floor heat vents. I had never really even considered covering them but since they aren't used in summer and usually on the floor, they must act like drains for the cool air which wants to settle.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

phil wrote:I suddenly thought of the AC finding it's way down floor heat vents. I had never really even considered covering them but since they aren't used in summer and usually on the floor, they must act like drains for the cool air which wants to settle.

Yep, I have relied on that in the past!
Mick...

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

So how did you handle access (stairs)? Did extend an existing staircase or put stairs in another room or ??

We have thought about using our attic space but getting access would mean taking a good amount of space out of a bedroom or from the dining room, neither appeals to me.

phil

Post by phil »

with my house they hiked the roof up a little over the kitchen, then pushed the outside wall out 4 feet and that gave them 4 feet for the stairways. they moved the whole kitchen over 4 feet. the one going down is right below the one that goes up to the attic and both are a bit steeper than normal but it worked out well without loosing a lot of space. It was done a long time ago.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

My attic stairs are "stacked" over a set of back kitchen stairs. They were servant stairs, so they did not need an open ceiling above them. One thing I almost have two many of is staircases. Six is a bit many.
Today is my happily ever after.

phil

Post by phil »

houes with two sets are neat , then you can chase each other around ;-)

O2Annie
Settling in

Post by O2Annie »

Ireland House wrote:My attic stairs are "stacked" over a set of back kitchen stairs. They were servant stairs, so they did not need an open ceiling above them. One thing I almost have two many of is staircases. Six is a bit many.

Yes, this is how our attic stairs are set up; they are a full set of walk-up stairs built above the "Servants" stairs from the kitchen.

Only a front and back stair in this old gal - more than enough!

So sorry, I see this post has been active and I have not! When I get more time I will make a point of answering all of the other questions :)