Starting small

Project updates and progress reports
vvzz
Been here a while

Re: Starting small

Post by vvzz »

Looks awesome! I prefer methyl chloride for stripping hinges though! I love industrial grade chemicals, takes the paint off in no time.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

vvzz wrote:Looks awesome! I prefer methyl chloride for stripping hinges though! I love industrial grade chemicals, takes the paint off in no time.

crock pot is much less messy though and you can do dozens at once!
Mick...

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Those look great!

I love stripping paint in the crock pot! I've never used chemicals or soap, just hot water. Others gave suggestions for small tools for removing paint from fine details, and I'd add that I've used an old toothbrush with some success, too.

ZoraQ
Settling in

Post by ZoraQ »

You can also use baking soda instead of TSP. I throw a couple of big handfuls into the boiling water and the paint comes right off. I heard of people using dishwasher soap and other surfactants but I've always had the best result with baking soda.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

If you heat them up with a blowtorch enough to get the paint starting to burn off it will reduce cooking time significantly. they dont' need to be red hot or anything, Just hot enough to make the paint break down so the other stuff can get between the paint and the metal.
washing soda may also work as a contender to TSP and baking soda, not sure which is the "healthy option" probably the baking soda.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I have used clothes washing detergent with most that I have done
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

EQA, very nice hinges, do have the same hinge on all your doors? I have slow cooked hardware with tsp and with out. I found no real difference. Oh, I slow cooked with tsp on the stove once, the steam discoloured the enamel a bit on the stove back. Cleaned it up before upper management noticed. She still hasn't noticed, so I think I'm good now.

EQA
Settling in

Post by EQA »

Haha. We figured a dedicated pot was the way to go. And yes, wherever we have original hardware, it is of that Eastlake type, although it has been stripped out in some places. In most spots, it is simply thickly painted over. We have very few original doorknob assemblies, sadly.