Wild Geese Stone House

Project updates and progress reports
heartwood

Re: Wild Geese Stone House

Post by heartwood »

what a tasteful comfortable transformation! did you have help from a designer or architect?
truly amazing, a lot of work to keep the original stuff...so homey and warm...
.....jade

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

The wide plank floors... <3

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

House_BuhBooLis wrote:So Beautiful! What's with the little cubby on the chimney in Guestroom 1? Did you keep that? Or was that just built into the wall?

Ha, that was a big mystery for me. A farmer nearby told me that it's a Jelly Cupboard. She says they used to store jellies on those little shelves behind the potbelly stove (there would have been one in front of the shelf, connecting to that round hole in the brick) so that they wouldn't freeze in the winter. She says her house and a lot of old farmhouses in the area have them. The plaster fell off the brick there, so that area is still a work in progress, but I am certainly keeping that cubby!

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

heartwood wrote:what a tasteful comfortable transformation! did you have help from a designer or architect?
truly amazing, a lot of work to keep the original stuff...so homey and warm...
.....jade

Thanks!

I had an architect friend of mine help me with the really tricky space--- figuring out an attic bedroom/bathroom configuration. Otherwise, my Dad (an engineer) and I (landscape architect) just brainstormed and planned it out together. I like imperfections and oddities and he likes 90 degree angles and perfect symmetry, so it was a fun challenge ;)

House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

Post by House_BuhBooLis »

What are you counter tops in the kitchen?

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Gosh, I love stone houses and yours in now just wonderful!

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

House_BuhBooLis wrote:What are you counter tops in the kitchen?

Good catch :) My countertops are a bit unusual. They are actually Zinc. I really love them, but they are not for everyone. It's a pretty thin sheet of zinc bent over plywood.

Pros: At the moment, super cheap. Mine were $200 plus a day of labor. Can't beat that for counters!!! My roofer bought the zinc and installed them. He had never done it before, but he knows how to work zinc, so that cost included his learning curve. According to my roofer, copper would have been even cheaper! They are antimicrobial, meaning they kill bacteria. They have an historic look to them and are warmer in color that stainless steel. You can get a lot of different looks--- first installed, it is shiny like stainless and then it ages to a more brown-gray. Chemicals can hold the color at any point, shiny or brown. You can also sand them back to shiny or apply lemon juice.

Cons: Unless you treat them to hold the color, they are a living counter and will show marks and weathering depending on what spills on them. Citrus brings them back to shiny, other things darken them. I did not treat mine, because I wanted to see how they aged and all the different phases. I actually really like seeing some of the random spotting and rings etc., as they look worn in a cool way. I would drive other people nuts :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

an amazing transformation and work well done. You should be proud.
the zinc sounds interesting. i wonder if it contains lead though? often lead is mixed in with zinc to make other alloys but maybe if it's just zinc that's ok for food contact? it all looks very nice though and I lke the attic layout. If I could do mine againd I'd incorporate a bathroom and leave both ends open after seeing some others with the bathroom open to the bedroom type of scheme.

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

You have done a spectacular job! I love your eclectic taste and you have a wonderful sense of color. It's a fantastic house!!!!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

Post by House_BuhBooLis »

WildGeeseLn wrote:
House_BuhBooLis wrote:What are you counter tops in the kitchen?

Good catch :) My countertops are a bit unusual. They are actually Zinc. I really love them, but they are not for everyone. It's a pretty thin sheet of zinc bent over plywood.

Pros: At the moment, super cheap. Mine were $200 plus a day of labor. Can't beat that for counters!!! My roofer bought the zinc and installed them. He had never done it before, but he knows how to work zinc, so that cost included his learning curve. According to my roofer, copper would have been even cheaper! They are antimicrobial, meaning they kill bacteria. They have an historic look to them and are warmer in color that stainless steel. You can get a lot of different looks--- first installed, it is shiny like stainless and then it ages to a more brown-gray. Chemicals can hold the color at any point, shiny or brown. You can also sand them back to shiny or apply lemon juice.

Cons: Unless you treat them to hold the color, they are a living counter and will show marks and weathering depending on what spills on them. Citrus brings them back to shiny, other things darken them. I did not treat mine, because I wanted to see how they aged and all the different phases. I actually really like seeing some of the random spotting and rings etc., as they look worn in a cool way. I would drive other people nuts :)

Neat!!