Wild Geese Stone House

Project updates and progress reports
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Wild Geese Stone House

Post by phil »

It looks like my wories of the zinc containing lead may be incorrect. I found this":

What's Likeable About Zinc?

1. Zinc is a less-pristine alternative to stainless steel because it’s a “living metal” that changes color over time in reaction to its surroundings.

2. It’s naturally non-porous, so you can clean it with just soap and water.

3. It has anti-bacterial properties similar to copper, making it a great surface for prepping food.

4. The metal is easy to work with, so it’s easy to include decorative edges in various shapes and styles. Fabricators also can create an integral zinc sink by welding parts together and grinding seams smooth, making cleanup a breeze.

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/kitc ... pros-cons/

phil

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

In look at the before and after of the kitchen, I couldn't tell if the beautiful blue cabinets in the after where original or new. What say you? The kitchen is fantastic!

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

phil wrote:It looks like my wories of the zinc containing lead may be incorrect. I found this":

phil

Sorry for not responding sooner...I didn't get notifications on this post after the previous one. Yes, it seems to be perfectly safe for countertops :) I'm really loving it!

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Powermuffin wrote:In look at the before and after of the kitchen, I couldn't tell if the beautiful blue cabinets in the after where original or new. What say you? The kitchen is fantastic!

Thanks Powermuffin! Those blue cabinets are new :) The old kitchen was terrifying. Dark and dank and not updated since at least the 50s. I used a local woodshop (they are Brethren, which isn't Amish but similar culture of craftsmanship) that makes custom kitchens for a price that matches Lowes. They were incredible- came out to measure twice before installing, scribed the end cabinets to fit the curved plaster wall like a glove, and everything is level on my very not level floor. If anyone is in the Green Castle PA area, I am happy to pass on their info.

The blue took me sooooooooo long to pick. I always wanted stained cabinets, but it just wasn't the right look. Once I got over hating painted cabinets, I settled on this color. The whole look was based on a "simple English kitchen" style I saw on pinterest and elsewhere. The color is Sherwin Williams Needlepoint Navy oil paint.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

those cabinets look wonderful. the Ikea and home depot ones are definitely not worth the price they ask for stapled together particleboard garbage. I initially looked there and then ended up learning cabinetmaking and it was one of the last projects I was able to do with my dad. I was really happy to get the chance to learn those skills and he showed me how to build them in a more traditional way with full face frame cabinets, dovetail drawers but the slides are wood rails that are part of the cabinet. all the wood was maple but it was pretty knotty and rough stuff. it really taught me to control the wood as it normalized and to use the best pieces where they show. The results were lots of figurative grain and I learned a lot, but it also took a lot of time.
I've never been a fan of painted cabinets but I like those ones. You did really well with the cabinets and the other restorations look great. its obviously lots of work to take a house apart and rebuild the whole thing.

I think it notifies you if you quote the person but if you just reply it wont' send a notification. there might be settings you can change for the level of notification.

Phil