My First Home -a 1924 Bungalow in Lincoln, Nebraska

Project updates and progress reports
Sara
Been here a while

My First Home -a 1924 Bungalow in Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Sara »

Hey there! I purchased the home in June 2014 so I've already owned it for about 8 months. (That went by fast!) And.. there's a whole lot in the plans to get done. A lot to do. And not a single project can be crossed off the list yet. :shock:

I was really happy to find this forum and have already gathered a wealth of knowledge by lurking. Belated thank you!

Some more about the house; I fell in love with the colonnades separating the living room and dining room. I love that all three levels of the house had high ceilings. I love the bones of the house but also love that the basement and second floor were not originally finished and am taking that artistic license to finish them out with nods to the original architecture and period.

The house was owned by the same family that built it from 1924 to the mid 1980s, then transitioned to another family with a little boy (his growth chart is on the frame of his bedroom closet door). Unfortunately that family was foreclosed on around 2011 which left the house sitting vacant for a couple of years while the ownership transferred from the bank to a house flipper (not exactly sure what he did to better the property besides illegally demo the two car garage), then to me!

Here are some photos of the house prior to the purchase.

That's my dad - my carpenter. A project like this makes me realize how lucky I am to have some skill in the family!

You might be able to see the overgrowth of the unattended landscaping and all of the two foot tall volunteer trees! I spent the majority of the summer cleaning up the front yard and digging out two tons of landscaping rock that had been bordering the house and the area between the street and sidewalk that was neglected and buried in 10 years worth of leaf compost/dirt/weeds. But I can show a small amount of progress.

- Painted the porch rails, floor and ceiling to encapsulate the flaking lead paint. (a somewhat temporary fix as I'll be doing more extensive repairs and restoration later down the line)
- Relandscaped the front area and seeded grass.
- Ripped off a wall that had been built over the north side of the front porch to supposedly protect the porch from northerly winds(?). Hey, if it's cold - don't drink your coffee on the porch.

Before (wish I had a better photo on my phone - but hey! Keys!):
After:

Then it got cold so we transitioned to working in the basement. We'll be finishing the space with a legal bedroom - the egress window will be going in the place of the old coal shoot, a bathroom, two closets, and a large family room. I've already purchased the basement's salvage doors at a local business.

In Progress:

And I've lovingly (cough, cough) been refinishing the original basement windows and storms. Unfortunately a lot of that lovely wavy glass had already been broken. This is quite the undertaking.
An example of my first interior window.. the one for the bathroom. The only interior that will not be clear. It's not yet painted with the exterior paint.

Rundown of upcoming projects:
Note that the kitchen and original bathroom have no original features. There's nothing to save.
- Basement bathroom, fixture and drywall install
- Basement bathroom, finish drywall and trim
- Main floor bathroom and second floor bathroom, replumb
- Main floor bathroom, fixture and drywall install
- Basement bedroom, egress installation
- Basement bedroom, drywall install
- Replace back door and fix grade issues while doing that.
- Build out stairs to basement
- Main floor, refinish wood floors
- Far away: Kitchen renovation (back to galley configuration)
Last edited by Sara on Fri May 12, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heartwood

Re: My First Home -a 1924 Bungalow in Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by heartwood »

hi there sara and welcome!!

a beautiful house that is becoming your beautiful home...I speak from experience when I tell you that you are indeed fortunate to have a carpenter in the family...your dad will want the best for you and if he doesn't show up, you'll know where to find him...

good for you that you have begun your window restoration...I really like the 3 over 1 configuration in bungalows....

you've been lurking long enough that you know there is a wealth of knowledge here...glad you joined us!

...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well hello Sara, and yes, welcome to Wavyglass. Glad to see another old home, a realy nice home at that, in the hands of a caring owner.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Alooha! Life is good on the bungaloo route! I am in IA in a 1914 sort of bungaloo.

Cheers!
Chaz

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Welcome Sara! You have a very nice looking bungalow, good help on board and a good plan to go with it. We are hoping that you will post some more interior shots too.
Diane

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Adding interior photos for your enjoyment!

Looking at the front door/into the living room from the dining room - and those lovely builtins. I had to get one piece of glass repaired and the lead reinforced.. not too bad for 90 years old.

The front door. And a shot of the french doors. Nevermind the heating duct - I was waiting to reinstall it to the left of the doors.

A shot of the first room - off the living room that uses the french doors. That closet (door to the right) is amazing and goes under the stairs. We installed an outlet in there when we rewired so it can be a child's getaway. Maybe someday. I would have loved a little reading hideaway when I was small.

And the wrought iron bed from my grandparent's farm. Sandblasted and repainted. This room is literally all hand-me-downs. You saw my grandma's hope chest in the previous photo.

The dining room. I have a 1.5 foot bump out in this wall that houses the windows. Which are pretty much the only original windows left in the house (except for my lovely basement project windows). Probably because they're more protected by that bump out's overhang. Do I keep them even though the rest of the house looks different?

A view from the dining room into the kitchen. It's going to get it's original pantry back sometime here in the near future. The back door will be moved to that far wall and the kitchen will become more galley-style.

First floor bath. Enjoy that beautiful linoleum and 70s pink tile while it lasts!

Looking from the bedroom/bathroom hallway into the rear bedroom - the one I'm using. And another builtin!

Hallway. Check out the wear on that wood floor.

Looking up to the bungalow .5 second floor. Really, more like .75.

Stairs aren't exactly code anymore. ;)

Biiiig open room. Big plans for it. Plan to add a bathroom, bedroom, and study up here. Using some of that eve-space for builtin bookcases and storage. Maybe builtin dressers. But goodness, that's 3 years away.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great house & pictures; thanks for posting! I definitely would keep your original dining room windows. Where was the pantry originally? It looks like you may have had a butler's pantry between the dining & kitchen---is that where it was? There could have been a lot of storage in that room.

Don M

Post by Don M »

It seems odd that some of your interior doors are painted & some are stained. I would strip & re-stain your front door if it were mine.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Don M wrote:Where was the pantry originally? It looks like you may have had a butler's pantry between the dining & kitchen---is that where it was? There could have been a lot of storage in that room.

That is exactly where I think it was. And somewhere along the line they 'opened it up' and put in that weird microwave cubby. And the window. That was also where the fire was (but in the basement) so who knows what happened right after that.

Don M wrote:It seems odd that some of your interior doors are painted & some are stained. I would strip & re-stain your front door if it were mine.

From what I understand it was common to use nice wood in the public areas and then cheaper wood in private spaces. That's what I have going on. I have oak in the public + the first bedroom which opens up into the living room and then pine everywhere else. I've been debating on this. Would you go ahead and strip and stain pine? It doesn't look like it's ever been stained.. I removed some spots as a test. No stain under there or evidence that there had been any.

Annnnd with the front door.. I think the reason they did that is because the veneer is starting to come off. Or something. It's wavy underneath the paint. Could have been patched but the other side of the door is still wood finish. I'm going to actually restore my original storm door first this spring and then we'll see how ambitious I am about the other door.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I think you are correct about the wood quality. I wouldn't bother with the pine. I think I would see if the front door is salvageable although if the veneer is damaged that may be an issue.