My First Home -a 1924 Bungalow in Lincoln, Nebraska

Project updates and progress reports
Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: My First Home -a 1924 Bungalow in Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Casey »

Hi,
I like your bungalow. The colonnade and built-ins are super. I noticed that the one side has a solid drop-down top section; is this a built-in writing desk by any chance? That would be so amazing, unexpected and useful.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Sombreuil wrote:Hi,
I like your bungalow. The colonnade and built-ins are super. I noticed that the one side has a solid drop-down top section; is this a built-in writing desk by any chance? That would be so amazing, unexpected and useful.
Casey

It is a writing desk! From what I can tell about my area this is pretty standard in the old homes here - one side is the desk and the other is usually the more decorative but equally necessary bookcase.

My desk needs a little TLC but the local craftman quoted me something pretty outrageous for it since it has tenons and all that good stuff that need to be recreated.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Hi Sara, love the house and interior built ins, and you have a clawfoot tub. Always charming.

The first thing that caught my eye on the one pic with dad the carpenter, was the strange arrangement of the windows. I guess the smaller is the bath or kitchen, and the one at the strange height is that one in the staircase?

I don't think I have seen that on a Craftsman before. There are a lot around here, going to take a closer look at therm on one of my bike rides.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I used a heat gun - stripper is just too hard to keep off of the floor and just too messy. The heat gun made fast work of paint on top of shellac.
Diane

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Thanks Nicholas. You know, the more I get into it the more I just think of my house as just 'a bungalow' and not necessarily even Craftsman. It has Craftsman similarities but honestly it's missing a lot of the smaller details that would make it a true Craftsman. The four windows on that alley side: bedroom, stair, bathroom, bedroom.

That "charming clawfoot".. only had three feet! The damndest thing. We actually are removing it to install a walk in shower since it's such a small bathroom. There was no space for it in there - it was jammed right up against the wall. Come to find out, when we removed it last night, there was a reason it was leaning on the wall - it only had three feet!! You just never know what you're going to find in an old house.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Hey, our clawfoot tub has been supported by a brick for the past 8 years or so! One of the feet facing the wall was broken when we got the tub (streetside find) and we discovered that a brick had just the perfect height. Will probably stay like that for the life of the tub. Considering how hard it was to get the bloody thing through the narrow door I'd say it'll stay there forever.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Moved topic from the WavyGlass archives so Sara can continue to add to it
Mick...

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Thanks Mick!

So I thought it was just about time for an update. The bathrooms that I started back in 2015 are finally 98% done. Projects, as you know, always go a bit slower than you expect them to.

Th 1st floor bath:
575 576 577 578 579 580581 582 583 584

The basement bath:
585 587 588 589 590

While I really wasn't able to do restoration work in either bath as it was missing original features, I'm pretty happy about how both of these turned out and fit into the bungalow. Especially that 1st floor bath. The decision was made early on to put in a walk-in shower but I'm hoping my tile decisions made up for the loss of that character. Once that decision was made we were able to reconfigure the fixture placement to maximize the room.

Both were pretty fun and there's something a little freeing in not having many original features sometimes. Gives you a blank slate and free reign. My favorite parts; the vintage light fixture in the 1st floor, the usage of all the original door trim, that 2" hex tile.. and I incorporated that counter top behind the vanities in both spaces. It was inspired by Jane Powell's Bungalow Baths where many craftsman style bungalows had that feature. I think it's going to be a huge piece in any bath I design for the rest of my life. Such a small detail gives so much character and counter space. Especially important with a pedestal sink.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welcome to the District. :wave: I wasn't a Wavy Glass member, but I'm still glad you found your way here.

I haven't had a chance to read that Powell book yet. I should get back to the library soon, as I've slacked in my reading since we closed on our home.

I wonder if that counter was a natural development of the glass shelves that can be found in many older baths with the wall mount and pedestal style sinks. I noticed that it also lines up well with the protrusion of that style medicine cabinets. Our baths are in a bump out on our home, and in the upstairs bath due to the placement of the bump, that's something I've been mulling over as we can't really recess the cabinet because that's an old exterior wall, and any insulation we add later when we go back to the original siding would be diminished in that spot as a result. The reason the bump out bothers me is partly because our sole outlet in there is on the side away from the window, and the motion and light sensing nightlight in there keeps lighting up during the day because it's in the shadow of the cabinet.

Thanks for pointing out that counter detail, as I honestly would not have focused on it otherwise.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sara, welcome back, good to hear from you. The new bathroom only 98%done. If it makes you feel any better about your tardiness, we are only 20% done, and a few of the projects are going on to six years :shifty: Look forward to hearing and seeing more pics in the near future.