My First Home -a 1924 Bungalow in Lincoln, Nebraska

Project updates and progress reports
Jo_S
Knows the area

Re: My First Home -a 1924 Bungalow in Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Jo_S »

Awesome house and really loved such a wealth of pics!

I would definitely keep the original windows in the dining room; one day you might be glad to have them to copy if you ever want to replace newer ones. Plus, they're just lovely.

Ugh...popcorn ceiling; don't envy you *that* mess. lol

Nice to meet you!

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Thrilled to have you here on Wavy. I am south of you in almost a straight line. One Saturday I saw a Stickley rocker on Craigslist Lincoln. My husband and I left mid-afternoon, stayed in Lincoln around 15 min. to buy and load the rocker, and were back home in time sleep some and to go to church the next morning, somewhat tired.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Kansas.1911 wrote:One Saturday I saw a Stickley rocker on Craigslist Lincoln. My husband and I left mid-afternoon, stayed in Lincoln around 15 min. to buy and load the rocker, and were back home in time sleep some and to go to church the next morning, somewhat tired.

Yeah! I saw one just the other day at an antique store here but they knew exactly what they had and priced it accordingly. I hope you got a good deal?

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Hi Jo! Thanks for looking at my photos. I think you're right about keeping the living room windows.. one old original room is probably good to have. I know I'm going to be recreating the storms (I have maybe half of the entire house) so I'll just refinish these when I do that.

Jo_S wrote:Ugh...popcorn ceiling; don't envy you *that* mess. lol

And ooh.. I think you're looking at the big room upstairs' ceiling? Actually not popcorn! It's a textured ceiling. Probably done in the 90s when the second floor was pretty shoddily 'finished'. The ceiling isn't really even anyway. When the time comes, down the ceiling and walls go! Much easier to gut and refinish. :D

Jo_S
Knows the area

Post by Jo_S »

Sara wrote:Hi Jo! Thanks for looking at my photos. I think you're right about keeping the living room windows.. one old original room is probably good to have. I know I'm going to be recreating the storms (I have maybe half of the entire house) so I'll just refinish these when I do that.

How lucky to have the originals!

Your house is great; best of luck with everything, and I look forward to more pics as you go along. :)

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Lincoln is home to the guy who makes wooden, old-fashioned storm windows as a business. Also, the Starcraft company is there--I would love to have them work on my house. You are so lucky with resources--people sensitive to old houses.

Sadly, I did not get a real "deal" on my rocker but I am happy to have it nonetheless. I doubt I'll find another Stickley piece anywhere near me ever again. It was my chance.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

I love looking at your pictures. Your house is a gem! Love those old windows, and all the beautiful trim. I stripped mine and was lucky that it had been shellacked originally so the stripping was relatively easy. Maybe yours is too. Keep us updated as to your projects.
Diane

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Really cute house you have there! Welcome to Wavyglass.

Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Powermuffin wrote:I stripped mine and was lucky that it had been shellacked originally so the stripping was relatively easy.

Thanks for looking at my photos! :)

How did you strip them? I know the trim in the bath/hall/back bedroom is pine and was always painted white so there's not shellac under there - but what was the easiest stripping method?

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Many methods are in use. Try searching on this forum. I try to get my husband to use the non-toxic strippers but he loves his toxic ones. We even own a silent paint remover which I actually like but it is not for every surface.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare