Keeping weeds out of a brick walk

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Keeping weeds out of a brick walk

Post by TuckerTavern »

Is there a non-herbicidal solution for keeping weeds out of a brick walk? This is an *old* brick sidewalk just laid down with no mortar. Thanks, friends.

Mick_VT

Re: Keeping weeds out of a brick walk

Post by Mick_VT »

I have heard that spraying with white vinegar is very effective as a weedkiller
Mick...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

They make propane torches for weed control. Big flame pattern. Doesn't get the roots. Can harm adjacent plants that you want to keep.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Tucker, boiling water works great on dandelions. Kills the root, the base of the flower turns to mush, and just rots the tap root. I have never tried it on creeping type weeds though. Creeping roots that reroot themselves from the leaders it might not work so well. Kill the main plant but the leaders will stay rooted. I guess you could try to get the leaders with the boiling water at the same time. Oh, if you use on dandelions in the grass you will get yellow spots, it will also scald the grass around the dandelion.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

I remember seeing something that was designed for walkways. It was sprinkle on moss seeds, designed to grown in the spaces between brick, flagstone, etc. Would this discourage weed growth ?

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

At the botanic garden we used to use a torch to flame the weeds in the brick walkway. I think at some point someone got a little too flame-happy and it was deemed unsafe for visitors. As lovesickest suggests, filling the gaps with something desirable, like thyme, is also an option, though it can be labor intensive to maintain. High schoolers in need of cash is another option...though there are fewer and fewer who are interested in physical work for a little cash!

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

My wife makes a homemade weedkiller, its just a mix of vinegar and saltwater.

Its VERY effective, in fact it will kill stuff that round up won't. Just have to be careful to keep it away from the lawn and desirable plants.
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape