Next year's garden!

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Next year's garden!

Post by Corsetière »

I know, Fall just arrived, but as any good gardener knows...now is the perfect time to start scheming for next year. Do you have any big plans for next year's garden?

Since I just got the new house, I have so many things I want to do! I've divided them up into things that need to get done now:

- I just cleared a spot for a raised vegetable bed and I am going to start working on staining the wood for it and laying down a lasagna method soil so it will be mature for spring planting!

- Last weekend I planted a bunch of bulbs in the front yard but I still have a few more to get in before the cold really hits. Here's what I ordered so far: http://s67.photobucket.com/user/lboiwka ... t=3&page=1

And then theres the stuff to work on over winter:
- I need to start plotting out what I am going to plant along the front of the porch. It is not very sunny close to the porch. In the very front of that space I have 3 existing roses (which of course get pretty good sun) with some tulips and red crown imperials in between them. But what to do in the back...I am open to suggestions!

- Get a plan together for installing these antique cast iron urns I refinished and design a planting arrangement around them.

What about you guys? Do you have anything you want to tackle for next spring?
Are there any particular plants or combinations of plants that worked out really well for your house? I purchased a few things that are historic bulbs, do you have any period varieties? Pictures please!

Gothichome

Re: Next year's garden!

Post by Gothichome »

How about a small English formal garden. In general they are pretty simple to put together.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Hmmm...intriguing idea! The urns would look good with boxwood!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, not sure how much room you have there but it would work nicely. Most small English formal gardens are based on a Roman layout of square areas sort of like modern 'one foot gardens' that are all the rage in the suburban yards. If you had a plan of four lots laid out, one section would be for flowers, another for kitchen vegetables, another section for madicinal herbs and a forth section for kitchen herbs. A walkway in the middle. There most probably would be a statue of a Roman goddes, Diana, or some such. Also a bench to sit on while contemplating life. The beauty of the design is it can be made as large or as small as the available space permitted. If I recall one of the folks here has a masters in historical landscaping. They might provide more insight.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Oooh! Sounds lovely!

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Those urns remind me of what I did at our previous home, 90% of it was done with found stuff. Our Ft Laud house had a small property and not much yard, but we had a huge oak tree in the middle of it that shaded the entire yard, so grass was out of the question.

So I created rock gardens with landscaped walkways that led to hidden patios. But the centerpiece, and one of the first things you saw when you entered the house, was this pond and waterfall view from the eight foot slider in our family room:

This was also lit up at night with a flood light, and really brought the outside into the house.

Now, see that thing sitting there looking stupid? That was a real river cooter, that the kids named Harry, that somehow got into our fenced yard, and moved into the pond. Harry lived there for two years before searching out other waterways, something they are known to do. But he was loved by kids and cats and friends alike, was quite an interesting addition to our addition.

That photo was used in our realty ad when we sold the house, and the view of this from the family room was the first thing buyers went to look at when the house had showings.

Family room shown below, The slider was there because we used to have a deck that fell into disrepair:

1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

Nicholas, I love the pond you had! I have a "pondless" waterfall in the fenced area of my large backyard, but I always fill it up so that it makes a little pond. The birds love it, and I love the sound from the waterfall. Corsetiere, those urns are gorgeous and would look great with tall, striking plants like cannas - a deep red would be fantastic with something contrasting spilling over the base. My garden tends to just evolve, given that this area is pretty casual. I've gone on a crepe myrtle binge the last few years - there are 16 now in the yard, all in red, fuschia, or purple. They contrast nicely with the huge purple butterfly bushes (freebies from the birds) and the giant zebra bushes in the street hedge. I also have several magnolia varieties, and a lot of viburnums, azaleas, and rosebushes. Finally got my golden raintree to bloom this year too! I'm a sucker for new shrubs - it's my weakness.

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

My poor garden has been suffering from the following: California's ongoing drought, my horribly work schedule this past year, and my chickens.

I need to get my winter veggies planted!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Beautiful water feature & garden. I have a small pond with a pump that moves water although I haven't done anything with it in a couple of years. It's across the driveway in a small orchard. Like everything it just takes work!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I love the pond! It looks so lush!

I am definitely putting a pond in the backyard here. I had one at my last home and really loved watergarding!