a few new plants

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
phil
Has many leather bound books

a few new plants

Post by phil »

I dont know anything about planting really , but I was at rona and they had 90 percent off so I got these plants to try all for 6 bucks.

they had some ash trees that were potted and really tall. she said 25 apiece for those regular 90.. I wasn't sure if I really wanted a giant tree so I left that alone. I was thinking of planting a cherry tree out front.

Ive never planted anything in the fall but I guess its normal for trees and shrubs, Ill stick them in the ground this weekend and see what happens.

Phil
Attachments
IMG-3350.jpg
IMG-3350.jpg (330.88 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
IMG-3349.jpg
IMG-3349.jpg (247.18 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
IMG-3348.jpg
IMG-3348.jpg (318.14 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
IMG-3346.jpg
IMG-3346.jpg (217.9 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
IMG-3345.jpg
IMG-3345.jpg (238.11 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: a few new plants

Post by Lily left the valley »

One thing I've learned about perennials is most do get recommended to be transplanted in the fall before hard frost sets in because they can focus their energy on setting down roots rather than growing their above ground bits. I'm still learning which plants are better for fall or spring. :techie-studyinggray:

I did not know there was a cranberry bush that isn't considered a "true" cranberry! Looks like the spring flowers on those are spectacular. Seems the berries are human edible too, but recommended more for preserves than fresh picked eating. I just started learning about a few new to me verburnums this year, so now I can add another to the mix.

I also looked up the wine and roses. Seems you might attract some hummingbirds with that--I don't really know what kind you might get up your way. We normally attract some with our bean plants, but we didn't plant any this year. Fortunately, they did like the gladiolus I finally got around to planting this year! Since glads aren't hardy for here, I did dig them up even though I swore I wouldn't. I blame the hummingbirds because they were fun to watch when we sat on our front porch swing this summer. I tried to follow directions I found for unfinished cellar storage. We'll see how it goes come spring. (I definitely need to learn to stake them better next year!)

Sean keeps talking about planting chokecherries here. Maybe this spring we'll finally get some. We've discussed multiple fruit trees, but never seem to get anything new but blueberry bushes. We did finally group all three into their own spot before the frost set in. They got pounded by the heavy nor'easter we had a bit ago, but for the most part they seemed ok after I shook off the heavy clinging snow. I really should look into making wood scrap protectors for winter until they can establish themselves.

I have no idea what the other plants are. How have they all been holding up so far?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Early fall is a great time to plant as long as the plants have time get their roots set before they freeze. In some ways it's better than spring because, as Lily mentioned, they aren't focusing on setting new foliage; they are naturally focusing on their root system and preparing for winter.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I think they all survived a year so I didn't do too bad. I'm not sure i chose the right locations but Ill see in spring how they look. they pretty much doubled i nsize but I was doing my roof so I sort of negelected giving them much attention.
i planted a dozen blueberry bushes, one took off the rest lived but didnt produce much and its been 10 years or so now but at least we do get a gallon or so , and maybe the others will come in time, I probably neglected to put enough good soil for them to really take off. I did that in summer time though so I think they may have done better if they were transplanted in the fall.

ive got this tree that has natural plumbs. they look like cherry tomatoes , I cut it to a three way stump with no branches two years ago, now it's probably 20 feet tall and as wide. it grew like crazy despite my torture so I should probably cut it all back again or remove it. I dont really want huge trees to look after. at one time I started it over by moving a sucker and planting it across the yard now it's probably a foot or so diameter.

I got a plumb tree to replace one that died, I had two one was red plumbs that are tasty but it died,,
the other is half dead looking, gnarly, but seems to really produce a lot of more orange plumbs. I eat some and usually fill a box and put it by the sidewalk with a free sign and some bags so neighbors can have some.

I got a free plunb tree a summer or two ago. It turned into basically a stick with a few leaves but over 2 years it does seem to actually be taking. I think it will take off once it gets going. the root ball was a bit dry when I got it so maybe it got stunted for a while but it lived.

a neighbor gave me a big flower bulb. he digs them up each year so Ill see how that does when I plant it in the spring. hes retired and does a lot of beautiful gardening. Ive never planted bulbs before or dug them up so I'll see what happens.

I replaced my lawn with clover. It also got neglected I didnt even cut it but just yanked most of the bad weeds and let it go . its still nice and green. I like it better than regular lawn. some ivy got in and it went a bit nuts while I focused on roofing my house. but when I get more time to tend to it it seems like its establishing itself somewhat. some lawn grass gets in there and that does grow tall so I just sort of try to selectively weed whack it or yank the tall grass out after a good rain. now the crows dont pick at my lawn for chafer beetles anymore.