Too many apples!

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Too many apples!

Post by phil »

that's a nice solution , maybe they can make a bunch of yummy pies.
Maybe it would be a good neighborhood plan for people to actually plant trees for the food bank and just provide the space for them to flourish as a long term plan. I could see the advantage of both sides buying into that, even on city land we could do with more fruit trees if it helped people they can replace decorative trees in many places.
around here some do that, like some will plant tomatoes or lettuce or things like that in places that you would expect to see decorative plants and then if people come and eat them they have served a useful purpose. even places like downtown where there are normally just commercial type gardens with sprinkler systems people sneak in here and plant veggies ! Its fun t see them out of place. maybe it's a fun thing for people do do , buy packets of seeds and see what they can make grow without actually owning a garden ;-)

i spent time in one community and there was this old man. he was off is rocker but his son was evidently supposed to be looking out for him so he didn't go into a care home too soon. this old guy was continuously going into peoples flower gardens and he'd dig up a plant or some flowers and then he'd go plant them in someone else's yard. he really didn't put much emphasis on property lines but he always had a smile on his face as he worked about the neighborhoods. Some were peeved because their flowers went missing and some were happy to see some new flowers. you can imagine all the reactions. The same guy has been doing the same thing for years. I think most just felt he didn't do significant damage and let him do his thing.. I knew one lady who lost her shovel so she went in his yard and he had piles of them , she found hers and took it back ;-)
Last edited by phil on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Guerilla gardening!

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

That's a hilarious story, Phil! Well, not so funny for the people who got their flowers stolen -- but I hope he just dug up small plants. I was shocked last week when the two little Norway Spruce bushes for the new beds in front of my house came to $300. My landscaper said that my other choice was a "blue" variety but those would be $600!

Granted, we had to just buy from somewhere close because it's so late in the season and I was tired of doing my basement laundry in a fishbowl. (The bush you see in my pic was taken out when they took down the old front deck.)
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

When we were kids there was this wonderful plan called Columbia records. Most of us probably remember it. All the kids signed up and Columbia House sent music tapes to your door. The catch was that since they were kids, their signatures were not legally valid so Columbia house had no recourse but they kept sending them and the bills and I guess enough got paid that they survived anyway. If you failed to pay they just kept on sending them.

Then we became responsible adults... but maybe there is a little silver light that we can do stuff like that once we are above a certain age where we again are not legally responsible, I should encourage my mom to sign up ;-) and here I was going to PAY for a national geographic suscription ;-) I'm kidding of course..in reality I'm not a thief but its fun to think of these things..

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Slice them and dehydrate them for apple pie/cobbler this winter!
Bonnie