What's happening in your garden?

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Gothichome

Re: What's happening in your garden?

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, things in the gardens are starting to spring into life, still a bit early for most things in the gardens but I see buds starting to show on our roses and the apple tree. This weekend I think will be a pruning and shaping weekend.
Ron

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Azaleas are in bloom here. Since I removed the weed trees a few years ago, the azaleas that had been struggling are now flourishing with the competition gone.

This is the most common color around town. My neighbor tells me it's called 'Pride of Mobile'.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, we have a couple of azalea in patio pots. We bought last spring. They do grow up here but they need some extra care to over winter them. Wrapped in burlap and placed in a sheltered area. I certainly hope they survive.
Ron

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Ron, you should be able to find azaleas (they are the same genus as rhododendron except they're deciduous) that will do fine unprotected in your area. I had them for years in Connecticut and you are the same hardiness zone (6).

stonefarmhouse
Just Arrived

Post by stonefarmhouse »

The warm sunshine yesterday had me wandering around the yard again, it hit 12 Celsius here but definitely had me thinking of spring! We have buds on all the fruit trees and the 200 year old chestnut, but still to cold to find any snowdrops.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Azaleas are pretty much finished here now, with a few wimpy stragglers still blooming. Now the show is amaryllis (Hippeastrum). Not native to here, but apparently quite happy with our climate, they thrive and multiply. Since this is a common Christmastime bulb that's often forced indoors, the majority of the blooms you see are red, since I suspect they previously did service for a Christmas season. My yard is no exception:

I have a neighbor whose front yard is a riot of red this time of year. They must have planted them years ago; they're growing in impressive masses.

Citrus (Satsuma) is in bloom, too. The fragrance is intoxicating.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, a very rich coloured flower, you mentioned they are forced about Christmas time! Are these the bulbs we get at say the grocery stores you water in the box and miraculously we get couple of tall stems with flowers in short order?

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Yes, the same. They're a reliable old garden plant that slowly multiplies to form showy displays this time of year. Then they fade into the background and the gladiolus takes over.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

We have half a dozen crocus blooming, we still have a few piles of snow in the yard. The Grampa Ott's seeds, you so kindly gave me some years ago, are doing well each season as I save some to plant the following year. It's a reminder of how great this old house community is.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Yes, winter is on the ebb, soon we will all be bragging about our newly restored windows and our beautiful gardens. We have crocus as well but the rabbits seem to nibble the tops of the leaves, no flowers yet. We’ve been slowly cleaning up the yards as the weather permits, soon, maybe even this weekend I will get the Canna and Calla’s in the ground. Upper management as taken control of our little box gardens for vegetables. It will be her first time doing rather than supervising
:-| .