What's happening in your garden?

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: What's happening in your garden?

Post by Manalto »

We got a good drenching rain here (central Connecticut) on Saturday which gave the garden a boost. Herewith, a few highlights:

The first 'Grandpa Ott' morning glories have appeared:

Bee balm (Mondarda) is a native perennial that prefers boggy locations but does fine in ordinary garden soil too. My colony of pink bee balm was a pass-along plant that has thrived, largely ignored, for years.

Speaking of bees, this bumblebee is going berserk on the blooms of black cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa - actually the genus has been changed to Actaea but that makes the name no fun at all to say). The bloom spikes are about 6' tall. I positioned these so the afternoon sun shines through them.

Probably the most common daylily in North America, the tawny daylily (Hemerocallis fulva) is everywhere, especially by the side of the road; clumps often sprout a mailbox. They're super common, but I like them.

Orange is the least popular color in the garden, but I think it mixes well, especially with blue and white - just not pink. (School-bus yellow is the color that I have trouble with; it screams too loudly for attention.)

Early July around here is usually the second big burst of color after spring.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James they all look great. And well planned out locations as well.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, more fake Lilium flowering.

We have two more with the buds starting to swell, so there will be more next week. I have no idea what colour they will be.
We received a whole lot of lilies from my dads yard. He inherited then with the house maybe fifteen years ago. They were growing wild in what was once a flower garden. This is the second growing season in our gardens and they are taking over.
I think there will be some heavy cutting back in the fall. Hope my neighbours like fake lilium.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:I think there will be some heavy cutting back in the fall. Hope my neighbours like fake lilium.

Hey Gothichome - if you will be heading this way (ever) I will happily take as many daylily as you can spare. Seriously.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, i’m sure to be heading your way, if not in the summer months, we’ll make a trip up in fall, lilies in hand.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Willa, i’m sure to be heading your way, if not in the summer months, we’ll make a trip up in fall, lilies in hand.

Very happy to hear this. I'll take whatever you don't want, and spares from whatever gets thinned out.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote:Willa, i’m sure to be heading your way, if not in the summer months, we’ll make a trip up in fall, lilies in hand.

Ron, be sure you check over your shoulder first. You don't want to get caught passing counterfeit lilies. :roll:

Willa

Post by Willa »

"Fake it till you make it."

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I'll take Hemerocallis over Lilium any day. Since the arrival of the lily-leaf beetle (Lilioceris lilii) in this area, growing lilies has been a hassle. Here's a nice pale yellow daylily growing among my cherry tomatoes:

They're tough and undemanding. The only advantage of true lilies is that great fragrance.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Deer came through in the last week and ate all of the lilies, ate every leaf and bud on the Montauk daisies, nipped the tops and leaves off of every baby sunflower, ate half of the hostas, and the birds finished off my blueberries.

The Russian sage is in full bloom so I at least have that to enjoy, the bees really love it.