Finally! A Needle Palm

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Finally! A Needle Palm

Post by Manalto »

Today I planted a nice Rhapidophyllum hystrix (Needle Palm) that I got from my local nursery here on the Gulf Coast. The plant gets its common name from the dense cluster of fierce 3" needles growing on the trunk. I'm told it's also called Porcupine Palm, but I've never heard anyone call it that. Sorry for the dark picture - although it does show off the silvery underside of the leaves - I planted it late in the day, and provided quite a banquet for the local mosquito population.

I chose this one because all the needle palms were growing (in pots) in the same conditions (high overhead canopy of trees) and this one seemed the most robust and open in habit. Native to the southeast United States, it is reputed to be the hardiest palm on earth. Specimens thrive as far north as Cape Cod and the Alaska Panhandle. It's known to be slow growing, taking years to form a trunk - yet gardeners here on the Gulf Coast will tell you otherwise. It now occupies a position of honor where I can see it from my back door.

I've wanted a needle palm since I learned about them in 1992 from Lawrence Crockett, my horticulture professor at The City College of New York. He brought us copies of an article from the New York Times introducing us to this remarkable plant. (The palm's botanical name was not in italics in the article and Dr. Crockett expressed mock horror at the terrible gaffe made by this venerable publication. Since then, I've tried to be diligent about this rule.) He was a font of knowledge and exuberance and the world is a poorer place without him.

This brings my total species of palms to six.

X Butiagrus nabonnandii - Mule Palm (an intergeneric hybrid and thus sterile, hence "mule")

Rhapis excelsa - Lady Palm

Sabal palmetto - Cabbage Palm

Sabal minor - Palmetto

Chamaerops humilis - European Fan Palm

Rhapidophyllum hystrix - Needle Palm

Three on this list are native to this area: the two sabals and the needle. Palms aren't popular here in Mobile the way they are in Southern California or Florida. I get the sense that they're considered trashy by some - you see them in front of seedy hotels and used car dealerships. Oddly, they also show up in the posh neighborhoods. I'm the outlier...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Finally! A Needle Palm

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote: Palms aren't popular here in Mobile the way they are in Southern California or Florida. I get the sense that they're considered trashy by some - you see them in front of seedy hotels and used car dealerships. Oddly, they also show up in the posh neighborhoods. I'm the outlier...

I wonder if it is the inherent suspicion that a hardy plant is somehow less valuable than one that needs more care and fussing ? There do seem to be some class distinctions with regards to garden design and preferences. Like the richer folk often plant wide swaths of the same flower or plant, which is dramatic and considered v.s. the less well off seem to favour many small clumps of different flowers. Cultural distinctions also prevail, with the retired Italian folk here having a much different type of yard from their non-Italian neighbours. Has anyone published papers on the sociology of garden design ?

I am all about the most perennial garden as possible, a hardy one. Plant it once and forget it !

Congratulations on the Needle Palm (ouch !).

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, interesting thought, I see the ethnic diversity in my head. Those gardens heavily planted on the pariferals on at least three sides with a best view from the middle looking out or with a statue I automatically think an Italian inspired garden.
A low growing garden filled with waves of dense small flowering highlighted by roses I think a garden of English insperation. Any yard with a olive tree must have Greek inspirations.
Gardens just barely hanging on and filled with dandelions must be a Canadian inspired garden. Any garden filled with dandelion highlighted with a cabbage or two, well that’s obviously a Ukrainian inspired garden.
But I do try hard not to stereotype.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote: Any garden filled with dandelion highlighted with a cabbage or two, well that’s obviously a Ukrainian inspired garden.
But I do try hard not to stereotype.

HEY! We also grow tomatoes! :lol:

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Looking forward to seeing it mature, Manalto!