‘It lives, it lives’, well most things

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Gothichome

‘It lives, it lives’, well most things

Post by Gothichome »

Folks we had our first week of warm weather finally. Every thing has come to life, tulips blooming, trees leafing out. I have to cut our lawn for the first time this year. The radishes and carrots are breaking surface, time to start thinking of planting the tomato’s and cucumbers ect. We lost three roses though to last year’s Asian beetle attack, all three were the fancy roses, the hardier types fared well.
Also time to start windows once again,

Vala

Re: ‘It lives, it lives’, well most things

Post by Vala »

Our spring came 3 weeks late, we entered May with budding trees instead of the usual full green by mid april.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Oh, my gosh, I've been mowing my yard since the beginning of April! It needed it before then, but I refused to mow it in March. :|

I inherited a stand of peonies which used to bloom really well, but last year I got only two blooms. I was afraid they were goners but there's several buds this year. However, they're the last ones on the block to open up. I don't know what to do with them. I don't have a green thumb at all!
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

AWWAH, you folks in the south have it too easy. Like Vala we are a good three weeks behind as well. I’m hoping we pick up those missing warm weeks in the fall. It’s only fair.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:AWWAH, you folks in the south have it too easy. Like Vala we are a good three weeks behind as well. I’m hoping we pick up those missing warm weeks in the fall. It’s only fair.

Lol and same here. I need those warm weeks for outdoor projects!

awomanwithahammer

Yeah, come down here in August and say that.
Bonnie

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

same here in western Massachusetts...we're always later than boston to green up but we sure are late this year....
I mowed me lawn 5 days ago for the first time...it has rained since and the grass has grown 3 inches since then!!

I know the weather gets really hot in the south but, after 62 years of new England winters, I think I could handle it...October is quite beautiful with the foliage but once it's gone, everything looks drab gray and the weather reflects the look until the snow begins in earnest in December then it's shovel, shovel, shovel and slip and slide on the ice....i vote for one month of fall, winter and spring and 9 months of summer...who's in??

oh, my 100 tulips are up and gorgeous...they last a long time...I gave all the neighbors a dozen bulbs and those are up too!

awomanwithahammer

heartwood wrote:same here in western Massachusetts...we're always later than boston to green up but we sure are late this year....
I mowed me lawn 5 days ago for the first time...it has rained since and the grass has grown 3 inches since then!!

I know the weather gets really hot in the south but, after 62 years of new England winters, I think I could handle it...October is quite beautiful with the foliage but once it's gone, everything looks drab gray and the weather reflects the look until the snow begins in earnest in December then it's shovel, shovel, shovel and slip and slide on the ice....i vote for one month of fall, winter and spring and 9 months of summer...who's in??

oh, my 100 tulips are up and gorgeous...they last a long time...I gave all the neighbors a dozen bulbs and those are up too!

OK, I'll concede. I think I can handle Southern summers better than I could handle Northern winters! Basically, your proposal for 9 months of summer and 3 months of the other seasons is pretty accurate for around here. It often doesn't get really cold until December, and sometimes the daffodils start blooming in late February or March. My tulips have come and gone already. I didn't plant anything, but it's always a treat (and a surprise!) when things start coming up out of the ground. I'm particularly attached to the peonies, my favorite flower, so I worry about them. I wish I knew how to take care of them. We've lost several trees in our yard, including two dogwoods; I really hated that.
Bonnie

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

woman, I was going to suggest you go to park avenue but you arrived already!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

We have bits starting to unfurl here finally as well. Rain kept me out of the garden a lot so far since then. Today was gorgeous and I didn't get outside at all. :cry: The rest of the week should be fruitful though. Of course the weeds are already sprouting everywhere. First dandelion flowers this weekend as well as returning common milkweed and some violets. The Berry Army is sprouting leaves like crazy too.

--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.