Where Wild Things Grow When I Don't Mow

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Olson185
Been here a good while

Where Wild Things Grow When I Don't Mow

Post by Olson185 »

I don't really expect to dump a bunch of pics and have anyone research what things are. But if anyone can look and know what it is without any trouble I'd be appreciative for the "heads up".

Plant #1: 12"-18" tall ground cover, vine with long petiole, maple-shaped leaves. Maybe "Baden-Baden"?

Plant #2:

Plant #3: thorny stem, wild strawberry?

Plant #4: I think this one is a tall bush or small tree wanting to happen

Plant #5: Could be the same as Plant #1 but of a different age in its growth.

~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Re: Where Wild Things Grow When I Don't Mow

Post by Olson185 »

Plant #6: 24"-30" tall stalk of grass with "feather duster" at end, I call it "wheat".

Plant #7: ground cover plant

Plant #8: another ground cover plant, w/ waxy leaves

Plant #9: this might be a variety of Poison Ivy that doesn't have notches in the leaves. We have very little of this and I've not seen it before today.

Plant #10: This might be a repeat type but not a repeat of the same plant.

~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Get rid of it all, especially the wild grape (1), wild cherry (4) and the mulberry (5). Nothing worth keeping. #8 deserves special attention; it's garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolara) I suggest that you put great effort into eradicating this weed from your yard - don't let it go to seed; don't even throw pulled plants with flowers in the compost, because of pregermination. It's a new invasive that is swallowing up the landscape and creeping into the woodlands. It's aggressive. Be more aggressive.

That's not poison ivy.

I do like #6. Maybe it's OK?

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Elsewhere, on HD, I've shared my adventures eradicating poison ivy and my beginning process of reclaiming the perimeter of the yard, up to 30' from the boundary, back from English ivy. As I near completion of the latter, I find that part of the yard I first cleared of English ivy has a new tenant:

~James