Heavenly

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Heavenly

Post by Manalto »

I'm not trying to be a wise guy when I say, "Enjoy those two weeks." It probably has more to do with your latitude than anything else. Morning glories like hot weather and don't really take off until it warms up. They take a good four months (~120 days) to come into bloom. I suspect northern New Hampshire can still be pretty chilly in May, which would explain the delay in bloom time. If you haven't planted 'Grandpa Ott' (and you like it) give it a try - or look for other early-blooming varieties. It tends to bloom earlier than the larger selections, 'Heavenly Blue', 'Flying Saucers' and others; so you might eke out a couple more weeks. G.O. looks great scrambling through roses, too. A full day of sun (as opposed to afternoon shade, which helps further south) is not too much where you are, I suspect.

Also, morning glories thrive in poor soil, so don't fertilize, compost, mulch, etc. Rich soil can delay blooming by producing foliage at the expense of flowers.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

My coworker had a morning glory that re-seeded itself in a pot. At the same time I planted soaked morning glory seeds in a sunny spot. Her porch faced north and was quite sheltered. Her morning glory seemed to be about three weeks ahead of mine, and started blooming in late June/early July whereas mine didn't start to bloom until a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I have noticed with mine is that they seem to want to orient themselves so the blooms face north or northwest - even scrambling under a fence to assert themselves on that side. I don't know if being close to a cement retaining wall is just too hot, so they are seeking relief, or what the story is.

I will plant more next year, with seeds from this batch, to keep testing what works best for them ? I've heard they are more vigorous when the seeds are from the previous year's successors. The mystery white-streaked ones are the hardiest and most aggressive, so I will save those seeds separately.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Here's another shot of 'Grandpa Ott' growing up through the planting along my driveway. It looked a little nicer a few days ago when all the phlox was in bloom. These blooms are facing south.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

_DSC0006.jpg
_DSC0006.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2782 times

This is one of the mutants from the white /speckled cluster of morning glories. It's a little battered from a downpour this a.m.

I have a lot of foliage but perhaps less flowers than would be expected ? I read this could be due to my soil being too rich. Ironically this is the soil that used to be part of the driveway. I moved the fence location towards the street about seven feet, so that fine soil is full of gravel and whatnot ?

_DSC0008 2.jpg
_DSC0008 2.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 2782 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Hardy begonia (Begonia grandis) is perennial in Zone 6 or warmer, a bit of a surprise for this mostly-tropical genus. Pink or white blooms appear in September at this latitude, cool and tranquil in the muggy days of late summer. It will slowly colonize a moist, shady spot.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Very nice Manalto, I planted 6 tubers (begonias) this spring in planters. Parked them in a shady area, got squat. Well I shouldn’t say squat, got two flowers from one plant, three rotted in the pot and I think the rabbits got the other two. Don’t know were I went wrong but I’ll try again next year maybe relocate in a place with a few hours more of sunshine.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Ron, tuberous begonias are true tropicals and do best when both days and evenings have warmed up. (Around here, that's usually the middle of June.) You can put them in a hanging basket or raise the planter to keep it away from the critters. Water lightly until it sprouts and starts to grow, then gradually increase water. Half a day of sunshine (preferably morning - hot afternoon sun will scorch the leaves) is adequate. At the end of the season, let the frost hit it and then let it go dry. You can store the pot, soil, tuber and all, in a cool basement all winter without watering, and then bring it back out in the spring. I've kept mine for years this way.

According to the infallible Internet, Chatham is hardiness zone 6b, the same as where I am. The hardy begonia (Begonia grandis) should have no problem surviving year-to-year in the ground in a shady location where you are.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Well we had a hard frost last night so ended the growing season, my wife never got a bloom on her morning glories this year, but there's always next year.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I collected some seed from morning glory 'Grandpa Ott' this week. If anyone would like some, PM me.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Manalto wrote:I collected some seed from morning glory 'Grandpa Ott' this week. If anyone would like some, PM me.

I planted the seeds you sent a few weeks ago in three places they are growing nicely. I'll share a picture once they start climbing the various trellis I have planted near. Thanks again!