Heavenly

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Heavenly

Post by Manalto »

It's a good suggestion for perennial, woody vines (climbing hydrangea, Hydrangea anomala var. petiolaris, for example), which will hold moisture against the house which could invite damage. As tropical, annual vines, morning glory (and family) are less of a concern in this regard.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I'm broadening the meaning of the title of this thread, past 'Heavenly Blue' to include good stuff happening in the garden right now. Here's a (washed out, sorry) shot of rose 'Tropicana' that has finally bloomed in my garden. I got it for a pittance at one of those salvage stores and nursed it back to health in rich soil. Last year the Japanese beetles found it and some fungus (tea roses are always a problem) but this year it prevailed and has been blooming. The flower is a rich, deep (deeper than the photo) coral and the fragrance is good. 'Tropicana' was the All America Rose Selection (AARS) for 1963 and has remained a favorite for over 50 years.

ImageTropicana rose by James McInnis, on Flickr

Do I just like it just because it was the name of Ricky Ricardo's nightclub? Nah.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I hadn't even gotten to the point of looking at trellis builds, so thank you both for the info.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Here's the 'Heavenly Blue' morning glory a few days later, growing on the back-door awning. The foreground blooms read as purplish in the photo but don't look that way to the naked eye. Maybe it has something to do with light refraction - or something...

ImageHeavenly Blue on the awning by James McInnis, on Flickr

...and washed out. Blooms are a deep, intense sky blue.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Here's a puzzler - a volunteer hollyhock that just appeared this year. I didn't pull it because I recognized the foliage as being from the mallow family and was curious. The last hollyhock that was deliberately planted on this property was in 2003, 20 yards from this spot, and wasn't particularly long-lived (Hollyhocks are a handsome, old-fashioned flower, but susceptible to a host of insects and diseases). I remember because the seeds I bought were for a double apricot, and it grew in pink - as best as I can remember, pretty much like this one. I told a horticulture professor at the University of Connecticut and his response was a sarcastic, "Gee, not getting what it says on the seed packet - that never happens."

Have the seeds of my 2003 hollyhock sat dormant in the ground for 14 years?

ImageVolunteer hollyhock by James McInnis, on Flickr

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Garlic chives, here used as a border, have begun to bloom and are extremely attractive to bees. If you grow garlic chives, be sure to cut off the faded blooms; they're a little too good at self-seeding.

ImageGarlic chives new spot by James McInnis, on Flickr

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

So beautiful. I'm so envious of those with a green thumb. I love morning glories.
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I planted morning glories last year and they did so-so. The seeds were from the seed exchange at the library, so who knows what I got ? I collected seeds from what bloomed last fall, then soaked and planted them haphazardly this year. Much to my surprise, the ones that have some partial shade seemed to do best - and they somehow self-selected - ie the pink ones are in one place, the lighter purple are grouped together and a mystery white kind with light pink centers and faint purple specks or streaks has been the most vigorous. Next year I will plant them on the opposite side of the fence to see if that is an even better location ?

_DSC0003.jpg
_DSC0003.jpg (769.21 KiB) Viewed 2538 times

_DSC0006.jpg
_DSC0006.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2538 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Your morning glory looks like it may have some 'Flying Saucers' parentage. (The pink throat and smaller bloom looks like a plant on its way to reverting to the wild type.) A good FS plant has random streaks of blue, but occasionally produces white, or mostly white, blooms, as you see here:

I have, however, had some FS plants that produced no flowers with heavy blue streaking, just the mostly white with a minimum of blue. There's a lot of variability.

True to their name, morning glories seem to do best with afternoon shade. They stay open a little longer and don't wilt as much on hot days.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

What's the key to getting them to bloom sooner? Yours are wonderful, every year my wife grows them on a 12 foot post in our garden and they start blooming in September. We usually enjoy the blooms two weeks before the first frost does them in.