Vinyl Fencing?

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Vinyl Fencing?

Post by Manalto »

A Rottweiler (fierce-looking but sweet) is preferable to vinyl fencing. Plus, you've got yourself a sweet, fierce-looking dog. It's a win-win.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

The only maintenance issue with PVC/vinyl fencing I see regularly is algae growth. White painted wood fencing doesn't have that problem. I don't know why.

We don't have any (border) fencing (just a wood, white picket fence in the front yard) but our property is half encircled by our neighbours' PVC fencing and much of it is stained with algae growth. It doesn't wash off with a garden hose spray (I've tried). We're thinking of encircling our yard with 4'x6' panels of trellis for the already existing ivy (which is taking up about 10'-15' of yard space along the property line) to grow upon; to hide the PVC fencing, too.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Rhonda
Just Arrived

Post by Rhonda »

This topic caught my eye and I opened it hoping to find my answer!

My old house is on 1/3 acre with brand new construction on each side of me. Between the new neighbors and my pup I've decided I would be happier with a fence. Strangely enough, I want a privacy fence on one side (long story) and I kinda like the idea of a more open fence on the opposite side. ( The back property line is concealed so fence material there is immaterial. Heh-heh)

So far 2 companies have come by to provide estimates and surprisingly they highly recommend the vinyl over wood. They are convinced the pros of vinyl outweigh the cons. Maybe because the vinyl is more expensive with higher mark-up? Dunno.

My heart wants a wooden fence, with white picket on the front façade but I'm worried about the maintenance.

Oh decisions..

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

they have to put stuff into the plastic so it breaks down. the problem is that it will break down after a certain amount of sun exposure. the more sun it sees, the shorter the life.
its just the same as the patio chairs. if you dont' bring them in and leave them out all winter, they dont' last too long before the start cracking up. I don't think you'll want to take the fence inside in the winter ;-)

my neighbor put up a composite fence. it looks ugly too. I already had a wood fence so now we have two back to back lol.. I didn't want o look at their giant grey wall so I said fine but put it on your side and kept my wood fence. they guys were back there installing the thing for what seemed like forever. it might last well. it's expensive stuff. I'd go with unpainted cedar, maybe some stain, not paint. why ask for trouble?

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Have you considered a hedge? Not for the impatient, but nothing beats it for elegance.

phil

Post by phil »

I looked at a boxwood hedge but the guy said I'm too old ;-) maybe laurel ?
He had a point but I'm not sure I appreciated it being put that way lol !

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Rhonda wrote:This topic caught my eye and I opened it hoping to find my answer!

My old house is on 1/3 acre with brand new construction on each side of me. Between the new neighbors and my pup I've decided I would be happier with a fence. Strangely enough, I want a privacy fence on one side (long story) and I kinda like the idea of a more open fence on the opposite side. ( The back property line is concealed so fence material there is immaterial. Heh-heh)

So far 2 companies have come by to provide estimates and surprisingly they highly recommend the vinyl over wood. They are convinced the pros of vinyl outweigh the cons. Maybe because the vinyl is more expensive with higher mark-up? Dunno.

My heart wants a wooden fence, with white picket on the front façade but I'm worried about the maintenance.

Oh decisions..

Welcome!

I'm curious to know what "cons" they were willing to admit vinyl fencing has. I've met very few purveyors of something that were willing to admit there is *any* downside to their product.

I think back on what was once said about aluminum siding, aluminum windows, early vinyl windows, etc. and the reality never lived up to the hype. Then low E, argon filled, double-pane windows came onto the market but the failure rates are starting to show in statistically significant numbers. Krypton gas filled are starting to take argon's place. And so it goes....

As for the fencing, if you're not in a hurry, how about putting up your front yard picket fence and an arbor made of the wood fencing with which you'd be happy. Live with both for a year and then make a decision. That won't be long enough to judge "maintenance" (something done every 5yrs or so) but you'll get a sense of whether or not it 'feels' right for you. You could consider putting up two arbors, one of wood and one of vinyl, and see which you prefer after a year.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:I looked at a boxwood hedge but the guy said I'm too old ;-) maybe laurel ?
He had a point but I'm not sure I appreciated it being put that way lol !

Nobody over 30 is old enough, if it makes you feel any better. Boxwood is S L O W. I commonly say to clients, "Neither of us is going to live long enough to see X" (the characteristic of the plant at maturity). By including myself I hope to soften the shock of our mortality. Yew makes a nice hedge (the British use it a lot but I rarely see a yew hedge in the US); privet is deciduous, but it's fast. It has to be sheared frequently to look good.

phil

Post by phil »

Around here almost everyone has the piramid cedars. They grow quite high without getting too wide thing is they aren't native and they don't give the historic feel of boxwoods but I think some varieties of boxwood are faster than others so maybe if you pick the right varieties and don't buy them too small they might be ok although not huge

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Corsetière wrote:Has anyone installed vinyl fencing? I was looking to get a white fence and so I wondered if the maintenance for vinyl is much better or if there are just other problems with it?

Okay, well, a Lowe's fencing sub-contractor just left and now I have some anecdotal information to share (sorry, I didn't ask about thicknesses):

The price (incl. labour) of 6'0" solid panel tongue & groove (T&G) Eastern White Cedar = Vinyl (of the same style/look)

6'0" pressure treated (PT) Spruce stockade style is about 60% the price of T&G Cedar or Vinyl.

We're looking to have about 145' of 6'0" fencing installed. I forgot to ask what distance he measured-out on his measuring wheel...which would impact the cost/ft. calculations. Also included in the below pricing is the setting of five additional 8'0" fence posts (all by them lonesome selves....no fence panels). I'm building my own custom panels; which incorporate arbors, seating, planting boxes, tool storage, and supports for tomatoes and snap peas.

T&G Cedar/Vinyl = $5,700; PT Spruce stockade = $3,600

Labour will undoubtedly be performed by people whose immigration status might be questioned but I'm not sure how that might impact price in other parts of the country.
Last edited by Olson185 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~James