Vinyl Fencing?

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Vinyl Fencing?

Post by Corsetière »

Has anyone installed vinyl fencing? I was looking to get a white fence and so I wondered if the maintenance for vinyl is much better or if there are just other problems with it?

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Vinyl Fencing?

Post by Lily left the valley »

One thing I've heard about vinyl fencing is the issue with cracking/breaking up bits from weathering. If it's a model that company maintains for a while, replacement would be just that--whole scale replacement of panels/pieces. You can try to play the game with epoxies, but since many of them are hollow form, you risk structural issues too that way. I've read that some folks had trouble with replacements when the company would change their existing line, though. Not very often, but it does happen. I'd guess that a style that would be considered a "classic" would have less trouble in that regard.

There's also possible issues with discoloration, especially for folks who have metal heavier water and plantings nearby (with or without in ground sprinklers). You can paint the vinyl, but at that point you're in a similar boat to wood or metal in regards to maintenance.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!

succinctly yours,
....jade

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the biggest problem with plastic fencing is that it looks like plastic fencing.
Last edited by Manalto on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

how about the composite stuff? like Hardiboard or the decking stuff? I suspect it lasts longer but not too much experience wiht it. it might be more than cedar.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

depending on your budget, cedar is a good choice for fencing and there is no limit to the size and styles available...
there are different grades as well...some use cedar cross pieces, some use spruce...cedar is better...I just helped a neighbor install their cedar stockade fence...they purchase the sections from a well known fence company even though the big orange store was considerably cheaper...I've noticed some pickets have warped a bit but wood is wood and that happens...

priming and painting prior to installation is a good idea as you can get at the bottom end grain easy...I would use oil based primer followed by oil or acrylic finish...

good luck!
...jade

I just don't like vinyl...it's toxic and quite fake looking...it cracks and discolors easily...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Take a look at a more solid composite instead... but really wood does look best
Mick...

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

lol! I know, I know.... I just hate the ideal of all the maintenance. Since I would probably paint things white anyways.....

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you're a good egg corset woman! I know you were just reaching out for feedback...I think we all know you have a ton of energy and good ideas...
...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

heartwood wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!

succinctly yours,
....jade

:lol: :lol: :lol: