Mystery plant

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Mystery plant

Post by Old house lady »

This grows in the side yard, long stems (6-7 ft, needs trimming!) with little branching. Darkish green shiny oval leaves about 1.5 inches long.
IMG_20170415_150626641.jpg
IMG_20170415_150626641.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 511 times

IMG_20170415_150622513.jpg
IMG_20170415_150622513.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 511 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Mystery plant

Post by Manalto »

It looks like it could be a thornless form of flowering quince, Chaenomeles japonica.

James

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

I agree with James~ Japanese Quince I've always known it as,we actually have a very old large one in the same colour at this house.
They happily cope with pruning,had to prune mine hard a couple of years ago after a very hard winter with prolonged deep snow the rabbits stripped the bark of several branches which then died,but after pruning it came back beautifully.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Although I've always known it as "flowering," "Japanese" is a better common name because it distinguishes it from the larger, but unrelated (yet curiously similar in the color and fragrance of its fruit) orchard quince, also of Asian origin, Cydonia oblonga - that also flowers. Cydonia was a staple in North American home gardens going back to colonial times because it was the source for pectin in fruit preserves, until pectin became widely commercially available in the 1920s. Its fruit is bitter, hard, and pleasantly aromatic. The trees themselves are notoriously ugly but, with age, their gnarly forms achieve a bonsai-like beauty. (It's how I now describe myself :roll: )

I was told that Japanese quince (I'm a convert!), whose fruit is also wonderfully fragrant, (I drive around with a basket of them on the floor of the car for a few weeks in the fall) couldn't be made into the ethereal, champagne-pink jelly that my grandmother used to make, but I tried it anyway. It can, and it's great.

James

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Thanks for the info! I'll have to watch for fruit (if the critters don't beat me to it!)

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

Love that information James,so interesting ,thank you!
Oh and the jelly sounds nice too!