walapini

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Mick_VT

Re: walapini

Post by Mick_VT »

looking at your roof slope, and considering your location I would be concerned about building it there against the house from the point of view of sliding snow or ice from the roof crashing through it. you would need to make it it from some very strong glass
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: walapini

Post by Lily left the valley »

Mick_VT wrote:looking at your roof slope, and considering your location I would be concerned about building it there against the house from the point of view of sliding snow or ice from the roof crashing through it. you would need to make it it from some very strong glass
Yep, this is one of the things I've got on the list to ask an engineer. I'm also looking for more info on folks who have built them in colder climes so I can get an idea of what they've had to deal with or plan around from being farther north.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Update on our walapini progress

Post by Lily left the valley »

I've spent time this winter/spring working towards our goal of having the walipini. Given some circumstances, I don't think we might pull it off this year due to finances, but I have already started my research, including contacting both the Building Code & Health Departments about it. So far, so good. (The latter we may need to get some okies from as to our water catchment/rainwater harvesting system.) Neither person I am dealing with knows anything about walipinis, but they are learning and so far I seem to be a good kind of curiosity with this project to both of them.

I also have reached out to a permieculture forum community (permies.com) where I'm writing up progress reports on the project as well as fielding advice and queries. I also copy the same reports over to my Garden blog, minus the in between queries and advice posts.

As I mentioned in my usual Beebe Gardens thread, this year we may only regrade the area where we will build the walipini, and get a rain barrel and guttering up in that area. We're doing what we can, when we can at this point. If we can do more, we sure will, though! ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.