Baby steps towards the future gardens of Beebe

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Baby steps towards the future gardens of Beebe

Post by Lily left the valley »

As I deeply feared, Sean is already finding excuses to not go back to get more rocks. I'm going to call her (the lady that put the ad up) tomorrow to see where things stand. I'm wondering if now that it's all spread evenly if she's since decided maybe just leave it as it is or she desperately wants me back over there sifting so she can get the dirt people interested again. :eusa-think:

He thinks we have plenty of rocks right here on the property, and although he's right, I reminded him that ours will be more difficult to find and dig up, as opposed to the ones at the place we'd been getting some. He dreams of a machine where he can just mow over the ground and it spits the rocks out. I told him something like that might exist, but if we could even fit it in the drive way, we probably can't afford to rent it. :lolno:

I have been trying to make time to go through the native plant book, but it's been slow going. So far one shrub we have agreed on that wasn't on our list before is American spikenard, Aralia racemosa. (Image from the gobotany site linked in the plant name.) The berries are edible for humans as well as wildlife. The book describes them as "earthy sweet", which I'm curious what that will be like.

The current batch of Monarchs are doing well so far. As of tonight, four are in chrysalis, one seems nearing that time. Another grew to fourth instar and was moved to a larger keeper, the last beyond that just grew to third instar.

It's highly unlikely at this point that I will find any more eggs, and fairly unlikely I'll find any more cats. So this year, if all goes well with the current ones, my count will still be less than my first year. Still, given the weather and the low overwinter count, I'll take what victories I can find.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Earthy sweet=sugar-sweetened dirt?
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

awomanwithahammer wrote:Earthy sweet=sugar-sweetened dirt?
:laughing-jumpingpurple: I actually did wonder something similar...but maybe by "earthy" they mean more nutmeg/mace/clove sort of deeper flavor?
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Lily left the valley wrote: He dreams of a machine where he can just mow over the ground and it spits the rocks out. I told him something like that might exist, but if we could even fit it in the drive way, we probably can't afford to rent it. :lolno:

That machine is called a front-end loader or a backhoe. And then you need one of these:

The bars are adjustable so that it can separate rocks from 1 to 8 inches. Dump the material on the bars. Smaller material falls through and larger rolls off the low side. It also weighs over 4000 pounds...

Might be overkill. ;-)

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

mjt wrote:And then you need one of these:

Would you like to borrow mine? :wtf:

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote:

I was thinking along the scale of the bobcat skid steers you can rent, but yes, that set up definitely would help, and likely could be recreated smaller scale with found materials (Our yard isn't that big, really, to fit anything else.) The only "screen" we have right now is a 2x2 wood scrap box with livestock mesh on it.

Wait, James, you already have one that size? :mrgreen:

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Lily left the valley wrote:
Manalto wrote:

I was thinking along the scale of the bobcat skid steers you can rent, but yes, that set up definitely would help, and likely could be recreated smaller scale with found materials (Our yard isn't that big, really, to fit anything else.) The only "screen" we have right now is a 2x2 wood scrap box with livestock mesh on it.

Wait, James, you already have one that size? :mrgreen:

One that size?!? :wtf:
Bonnie

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

I'm sure miners have bigger wash plants if that one is too small. ;-)

Lily left the valley

Oh my gosh, everyone, that was a much needed laugh inner thread bit.

Twice now, even!

Thank you for that.

More later tonight on our progress and plans after Sean goes to bed. I still need some time to digest an unexpected turn (the good kind) during a project conversation we had while he was making dinner.

Lily left the valley

Garden/grounds related half of the "move a door" planning. 1/? (Not sure how long this will develop.) After thinking on this a bit more than initially planned since my last post, I've decided to divide this into two parts...one for here (Garden/grounds), and one for the house proper. It might be easiest to follow if you go read there first because that gets into the why and how we decided on a new spot more.

Our side door is awkward for a host of reasons which I get into more in the other thread. Garden specific is the side porch currently prevents a straight walk through exterior path from the front of the property to the back unless you walk on the driveway which is near impossible when a car is parked in it because the neighbor's fence is reachable if you're standing on the east edge of the driveway--so zero wiggle room--especially parked near the porch because the porch extends a bit into the driveway, as seen here:

I'd been bringing up the idea of moving it around to the back of the house and coming into the kitchen. Well, much to my surprise this time, Sean apparently had had enough of dealing with being faced with overnight snowdrifts on that side porch and stairs when he leaves for work in the wee dark hours of the morn when I have actually gone to bed before 2AM and so had not yet shoveled.

So after more discussion he decided that, yes, moving it around back was a good idea, as was adding on a relatively narrow width three season porch which would make the walk from the driveway both closer and more sheltered. (His preferred location for the move would be to the left of the double windows you can see in the pic above, which I have come to agree with for reasons I get into in the other thread).

How this relates to the garden is the following:
1) At first, he wanted to now add an above ground greenhouse on that side of the house. (A bit more of this below.)

2) He also likes the idea of being able to wash up whatever from the garden/also groceries without tramping through the dining room.

3) This doesn't mean we won't still add the pit greenhouse/walipini on the west side of where the bulky door exit is.

4) We can reuse bits of the current side porch in the project, and the removal of same will allow for a clear walkway alongside the driveway from front to back.

One thing I'm concerned about is our town has some odd restrictions about additions that can be construed as "work spaces" and therefore make the property be deemed mixed use solely based on their size--not if you're actually making anything to sell in said space. (Apparently this happened when a lot of people added small business workshops to strictly residential areas and then same because noise nuisances.) So we'd have to be careful of the footprint of the greenhouse because it would be considered in addition to the walipini's footprint. The latter was never meant to be very big because we originally were intending to only make the back line of the house flush with where the current bulky stairs and bath/kitchen wall are which left us well within the footprint that would push us into "commercial space".

I did float the idea to him that instead of making a walk out greenhouse (if the footprint turns into an issue), we instead just make a plain three season porch that can double as a seed starting spot with much better sun than we currently have. We already have a hose spigot we no longer use there but we could add a simple potting sink using just the cold water, and would only need to tie in a drain (and we will soon be having some replacement drain work done in the cellar anyway--so it would be a short run and thus easy to add to the already discussed work.)

I also need to see how the two additions (porch/greenhouse and pit greenhouse/walipini might be tied together to walk between the two internally, but the bulky stairs might mess force us to build further out, and I don't want to move those because they are near perfectly lined up with the cellar stairs coming down from the first floor which has helped with certain longer bits being cornered in the past and likely will be again.

My other concern about the above ground attached greenhouse is moisture issues, particularly given the south facing orientation. The intended walipini build out has a much smaller area width, and we were also planning to help mitigate moisture by building a root cellar between the house and walipini. You can see the difference in the photo below.