Pesky Saplings Question

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Pesky Saplings Question

Post by Willa »

I am still waiting for leaves on the trees, so I can finally identify what I have in the yard. There is definitely a very old oak, and what I think are some kind of maples. There is a forsythia in the front, and a catalpa and a lilac, but that's all I know.

As the previous owner was pretty lacksidasical(sp ?) about maintenance inside and out, I am discovering there are what seem like thousands of saplings sprouting up everywhere. There is also a thick coat of last fall's leaves as I did not rake them. When I have been walking in the yard I am often almost tripping over these pesky little tree sprouts. I have been pulling what I can, or cutting them off at ground level with hand trimmers. I have spent many hours thinning out the incredibly overgrown bed by the driveway. The PO just tossed any branches he cut down in there, as well as a broken mirror, a disintegrated fence, etc. It was all invisible until the the leaves fell in fall !

I am also discovering larger saplings/stumps that are growing out right beside the house and in several other bad locations. These had been cut down to perhaps 8" tall. Some are sending out shoots, while others seem dead or near dead.

Is there some sort of power tool I could use to cut these down to ground level ? My digging skills and strength level is pretty weak. Any remedies for the field of saplings that seem to have started in the last 18 months or so ? I did inquire at a couple of local places about getting the two emerald cedars cut down, plus stump grinding but this was a fairly expensive undertaking.

Also - any advice about the sapling rodeo ? What is the best approach ?

Mick_VT

Re: Pesky Saplings Question

Post by Mick_VT »

take a look at brush cutters, Stihl make some that look like weed whackers only with more oomph (e.g one has a circular saw blade instad of string). You might want to rent rather than buy
Mick...

Willa

Post by Willa »

What should I use for the brush stumps right against the foundation ? I assume these were something decorative that just got too old and died, with a small diameter stump with many branches. I can post some pics tomorrow.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

For the saplings, you can try drilling holes, pouring water & also take your pick of: saltpeter, manure or another high nitrogen whatever in it, then covering the stumps with some compost if you have it to spare. Black plastic, depending on the sun fall per spot, can help "hot compost" cook them faster too, just be sure to keep them wet--especially near the house. If it's just black plastic without compost underneath, no worry of compost overheat. Some folks turn a flower pot upside down over them instead of the plastic--not as hot compost, but the darkness helps encourage grubs and such to come have some lunch.

But as to manual methods of a more "now" fashion...

landscape bar a.k.a. spud bar a.k.a. tamper head digging bar Image
and a mattock can help too, but that's probably a little more manual than you want to get.

Depending on how big across the stumps are, don't try to work too close to the sumps themselves. The farther out you go, the smaller the roots will be, and easier to cut. Don't try to pry it out until you have so much cut it's just lifting more than prying from the dirt. If the ground is hard/compacted, wet it/loosen it up.

The spud bar can be used to cut downwards with a foot on the edge like you would use a shovel for something not so woody. So you can use some leg strength with it that way if you've more in your legs than your arms. It's also a nice leverage length for prying a bit to test to see what else a root is connected to/entwined by or not. The mattock might be more than you want to be doing muscle wise, and then Mick's suggestion for power variants is best.

:?: You did contact whatever your local "call before you dig" number already so you know you're not near anything underground? I've heard some interesting stories about hitting neighbors' stuff, as it sometimes can be running under other neighbors' properties too.

For the pictures, try to have something nearby to help give an idea of scale. Sometimes, I see pics of landscape stuff and it's hard to tell size depending on what is also visible in the image or not--I'm probably not the only person with that issue.

Don't forget lots of liquids for you too. I know when I get into the zone with a bothersome outdoor chore, I can lose track of time wanting to "get it done", and then realize I've not had even a cup of water in hours. :oops:

Oh...and speaking of beds with not beddy things in them? Turns out the local kitties have been using the sand under our porchlet as their sandbox. :doh:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

AlsatianND
Just Arrived

Post by AlsatianND »

Lots of different species you might be up against. Photos would help identify. Trees that propagate by suckering (stumps and roots send up shoots) are Bradford pear and Paulownia. The latter might be one of the worst. It's invasive, likes to take root in brick walls and the only way to eradicate is with chemicals. We've lost buildings to unchecked Paulownia growth in our downtown historic districts. They eat foundations for breakfast. Another nasty for masonry if Japanese Knotweed, a type of bamboo that grows through any pavement. Chemicals again is the only way.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Willa wrote:What should I use for the brush stumps right against the foundation ? I assume these were something decorative that just got too old and died, with a small diameter stump with many branches. I can post some pics tomorrow.

If they are dead, dig down a bit, saw the stump off and bury what is left - or just cut back and tidy what is above ground and let the stump rot away
Mick...

Willa

Post by Willa »

Bush stumps in bad places:

_DSC0002.JPG
_DSC0002.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 692 times

_DSC0004.JPG
_DSC0004.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 692 times

_DSC0010.JPG
_DSC0010.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 692 times

Mystery bush/tree that has many offspring:

_DSC0006.JPG
_DSC0006.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 692 times

Willa

Post by Willa »

Streeview pic from 2014 (current streetview pic is different). This shows how overgrown things were. The mystery bush would be at the lower far left.

5135339.jpg
5135339.jpg (47.58 KiB) Viewed 688 times

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

For sapling less than 18" or so, I've been transplanting them into my leftover plastic pots and giving them to neighbours and friends. It seems the invasive red japanese maples are very popular and they grow very easily here. We generally give away 6-10/yr. No one has any native sugar or red maple so, I guess, we'll have to buy those.

As for removal, you've already gotten the advice I'd give...except I'd also suggest letting someone with a mattock deal with the stumps for which it wouldn't take long to remove with a good pair of limb lobbers.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Mattock ? Limb Lobbers ? Spud Bar ? I'm at a loss here.

With regards to the stumps, mostly:

a) I don't want to attempt to dig them up myself
b) I don't want to saw away for hours with say, a pruning saw
c) Due to pets I don't want to use poisonous chemicals

If I contact people advertising on CL to pay them to do this for me, what should I accept as a reasonable and safe approach ?

I suspect some of the larger stumps have thriving and hardy roots, so I don't know how effective wrapping them up in black bags all summer would be, if they can still get resources from the soil ? I have read this can work well for large areas that need to be culled of something difficult, though ?

Could something like a Sawzall be used to cut down the larger ones to soil level ?