Baby steps towards the future gardens of Beebe

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Baby steps towards the future gardens of Beebe

Post by Lily left the valley »

The screen panel in our triple track has a very slight bow at the top. I have been meaning to fix this because bugs have snuck through, as well as one enterprising spider that noticed the bug migration.

This morning, I saw movement in the window and figured another bug had gotten in but couldn't figure out how to get back out again. Nope. Apparently something else thought maybe getting on the other side of the screen could mean an easy breakfast.

Since I'm expecting plumbers today...after my unexpected visitor was shown the door, I also closed the sash completely for now because the last thing I need is the cats to be delighted at this new toy* they've found, which of course would happen when the plumbers are here. :popcorn:

* Meaning, anything that somehow shimmies thought the gap.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily, it's nice to see wildlife thriving in your little corner of the world. I assume refraining from using pesticides is contributing to your success in that regard. You and I don't have control over what our neighbors do, however, and it would be a shame if the careless or overzealous use of a chemical undid the good. I worry about that.

Lily left the valley

I do think the lack of pesticides (and herbicides) helps. Not long ago (and I might have mentioned this) I was chatting with one of our neighbors and she said "Your yard looks so natural" in an obviously complimentary tone and it really made my day. We still have lots to do, but we do as we can when we can and you can see those slight changes cause other locals (flora and fauna) to pop in even if they don't stay. Yet the more we let things just grow a bit, then make choices, the more wondrous happy volunteer finds we have. Last year, it was the moss skim coat on the newly exposed compacted ground patch as we were getting rid of the gravel and weed suppressor (which failed miserably and now is a long process to remove in pieces due to all that broke through over the years since it was installed) where there used to be a playset years before we moved here. This year, it was the bursting scattered patches of ferns in the shady SW corner where we hardly had any in the past.

I have been researching getting our property certified as a native habitat (most programs you can get a plaque to help spread awareness or get added to a map showing where folks are doing such). That's part of my decision making as we work towards checking off the boxes on those lists. It is my earnest hope that we'll get the dry creek bed done along the west side of the property here, which will lead to the rain garden I hope to start digging soonish out front before the weather gets too hot long term. The two closest native plant places are an hour plus drive either west or east, and they only recently started allowing pick up orders. Which might be a good thing given the recent plumbing expense. I may have to hold off on the two bushes (Buttonbush & American witchhazel) and a bunch of lower perennials/self seeders (loooong list) I was hoping to get this year for the rain garden. We'll see how much I can wiggle the budget. Sean did promise I could at least get some trout lilies and dutchman's breeches to plant this fall.

The trouble is the county has a "spray when needed" program for mosquitoes, but from my understanding the chemical (can't think of the name right now) kills a broad span of creatures. You can post a sign and get added to a list for "no spray", but it's ridiculous if you're on a small urban lot with no signs saying the same nearby just from wind drift alone. What's weirder is there's no way to know when they might spray. There's no definitive announcement, just "the county might be spraying in your area this month". I've not yet seen a truck like the ones I used to see as a kid if that's even what they still look like. So for all I know, they've not deemed it needed for going on four years now. *knocks on wood* I remember my mom used to rush to close all the windows when the truck would come around back then. :sick:

Some of our border neighbors do use some chem sprays, but others do not. One border neighbor used to call in the "pros" to do their yard every year (with the little annoying signs that would get uprooted and blow around the neighborhood), but they sold the house and fortunately the new owners don't do that.

The hardest part, I think, about trying to be as natural/organic as possible is you have to learn how to leave some "pests" so their natural predators will have a reason to stop by your yard and keep their numbers down. It's a lot to learn, on top of what plantings will attract beneficial creatures if only to give them preferred habitat if they don't eat both plants and critters. Here's a nymph stage pale green assassin bug (Zelus luridus) from 2018:

I have also been tip toeing deeper in my research on how some plants that used to get labeled "naturalized" (meaning will grow somewhere but not bully everything to death) are migrating towards or already have been newly deemed "invasive" or "noxious" because scientists are starting to understand how certain plants affect other species (like the Blue Karner Butterfly and the west/east blue lupine variants issue.)

One thing that made me more determined than ever about the dry creek bed and rain garden(and eventual small pond in the back) is all the rock loving dragons and damsels we've seen this year just because of the pile of stones we've been making over time for those projects. They LOVE sunning on them, where other types prefer the tall grass like perches. Here's just one type, the common white tail (Plathemis lydia):
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

On a related note, two things I have struggled with in my long term native yard quest:
1) Many plants I love due to my maternal grandmother having them in her garden are not native, whether to here or to North America in general (like the Lunaria money plant, or lily of the valley). I'm finding myself in a bind over how to get rid of the plant/seeds. I'm tentatively seeking out gardeners that I can mail seeds to (like with the Lupinus albus), but I don't think I'll ever be able to completely get rid of the lily of the valley. They simply are too dear to me, and I think I would manage to kill them if I brought any indoors. (Which is where I have my nostalgia driven African violet, as my paternal grandmother always had one in her living room.) For now, my plan is to keep the lily of the valley in one spot where they can't spread beyond it (under the side porch which is surrounded by asphalt or cement, depending.)

2) We do have many non native plants that we "inherited" with the property. As an old home owner and lover, I feel like getting rid of them all is wrong to the spirit of the original family that built this home. Yet they didn't know what we do now...so...I'm almost to the point of accepting they'll need to go eventually.

Also, some were planted by later tenants--those I'm not nearly as much on the fence about, no matter how pretty they are. I'm trying to find those good homes. Most of them are part of the Gardner plant standards anyhoo. Despite all the nearby garden shops, nurseries and greehouses we have, at least 70-80% of their offerings are the same at each darn place. Probably more, but thinking about it makes my head hurt at the lack of options available locally.

I have had a crazy notion for the interim before taking the plunge to purge all non natives of using wide popsicle sticks (used often for crafts) to label all the plants like a stop light. Red means noxious/invasive. Yellow means not native, but has naturalized since the Colonial Times. Green means native since way back when the Colonials started cataloging them. Sort of an educational thing, with a sign out front explaining. (I'd likely keep the invasives trimmed down in pots, especially for things like Japanese Knotweed.)

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I recommend "Stalking the Wild Amaranth" by Janet Marinelli who, in this book (as I recall, it's been many years) makes a plea to homeowners to create wildlife habitat to achieve connectivity so that plant and animal species are not confronted with barren areas where predators or human interaction make them vulnerable. It's a tall order, but maybe the renewed interest in gardening as a result of virus sheltering will nudge us in that direction.

I'm not trying to get you to compromise your standards in striving for an all-native habitat, only to consider that many wildlife habitat plaque requirements encourage the use of natives but do not specify native only. This is because there are exotics which are non-invasive provide reliable shelter and forage.

Education is key to getting more participation, but so is marketing. The idea of a native landscape may sound appealing to someone until they see it put in practice and then are often turned off by a landscape they perceive as unkempt or weedy. Sometimes a well-behaved and more formal-looking exotic species (many of our ornamental plants in New England come from Korea because of its similar climate) can anchor the appearance of a home landscape and make it more appealing to those who are accustomed to a tidy, conventional yard. It's a blend of art and science.

Lily left the valley

I am aware that there are habitat checklists that don't even get into native or not plants. Their lists are pretty basic: little to no lawn, water source (preferably fed by non city water), x bush types for shelter, x bush types for berries, 1-whatever trees, grass/flowers for seed eaters, and so on. (I think the National Wildlife Federation has one such list--yes, it does and boy oh boy is it dead basic requirements.)

For me, the native part started off as a conservation curiosity spin-off. The more time I spent walking around Gardner, seeing the same damn plantings 50 times over with a handful within that get picked as part of the mix in various forms in those yards, with so few of them actual natives when there were perfectly lovely native equivalents that maybe weren't that gaudy bright pink that was trendy at some point or what have you (same gaudy pink that all 50 houses with that plant have--and no one does anything with it other than use it as one of the anchor color spots)...I thought, "Can't we be better caretakers?" I admit, I also thought, "Yeah, I'm so over this since house ten." Of course it didn't help that our house came with most of the repeat offenders. (Hullo, Christina pink azalea!)

The caretaker part was because you know how most lower-middle income American yards look. Sparse and a lot of it is comprised of half dead lawn. Rarely do I see a bird bath. Once in a blue moon, there is an empty bird feeder. One thing I really notice during my walks about town is where you do see wild life--typically the rare gem where someone actually put some thought into it even if it looks like they're working from a limited budget. Care and thought are there, not just "Oh we need to have some X". You do rarely see, among the standards, that one small bed, window box or planter that you just know someone from that household adores and cares for more than anything. Maybe it's a time problem? Maybe it's a lack of info handed down? I don't know.

I'm actually really lucky in the immediate neighbor sense. Because we're on the short end of the block, we mostly border with three other properties (and a smidge corner of a fourth). One has most of the usual plantings, but a bit more land and the former owners at least made some attempts within overall to make it unique and varied. The current owner hated all the wind break bushes in front of the house until I explained the possible reason they were there. Now she doesn't talk about cutting them down, though she is still eyeballing the pear trees because she's tired of the squirrels eating all the fruit. She still has no clue about anything gardening related except mowing the lawn. She does adore the birds and buys huge bags of feed for year round. We're getting to be friends and she's starting to like her yard more each time we talk about wildlife and plants. She does care, but I think this is all new to her and she is older and the family she has living with her does next to nothing to help her maintain the property.

One is a rental where the renters pretty much are responsible for the yard and actually do a bit more than the usual (including their recently legal pot plants). They actually grew beans on a trellis they bought the last few years. He loves exotics that have to be brought indoors in winter. She just loves their above ground pool and greenery in general. (She is also a granddaughter of the family our home belonged to, but she did not inherit it.) We are friendly, she keeps inviting me to use the pool bur I never seem to go. Sean hates their late night parties but they do them a lot less now that pot is legal. (They used to have a smoking tent which was replaced by an open screen house.) They have lots of lawn furniture and the grass in the back is like what you see at campgrounds and parks due to the traffic. The front they keep respectable average with little wood decor bits.

Thankfully the shorter end is where the spraying used to be and now the new neighbor seems hell bent on having nothing but mud lawn in the back which their dogs run around in constantly. There's very little vegetation left for them to raze and pile at the far back of their property (against the wee corner neighbor's fence) or trees to cut down and burn way too close to the thick patch of trees on our west side neighbors lot (the renters). He always seems to use his burn barrel for leaves and woody bits the older kids haven't used for weekend campfires when the wind is coming from the south, and you can see the wrath in his eyes glaring at the neighbor side border trees that dare drop leaves on his lawn. He cuts his mud lawn with a weed wacker. I've never seen a mower. We only speak between when the dogs are barking at me and they are yelling at them to stop. I couldn't tell you any of their names and they've never asked for mine. But I know all the dogs' names.

The smidge corner neighbor has ALL the usual Gardner plantings, but they have a long rectangle lot, so most are either in front of the house, or jammed around the border with a standard mostly dead lawn in the middle with all sorts of things littered all over the lawn. We've never had a passing chance to speak to them.

Ok...that went a bit long, but compared to most boring Gardner same sames...at least we only have that smidge corner as immediate neighbors. The rest of the homes we can see are all same sames.

The caretaker part does also come from a place where I was educated quite early about environmentalism and conservation. (My first answer to the "What do you want to be when you grow up?" was to be a marine biologist.) I am too young to remember alternate license plate gas lines my mother sat with me in the car, but my family spoke of them and other ecological matters though extended family wasn't as concerned. I even still have my mother's copy of "Silent Spring".

I can't recall if you've mentioned Marinelli's book before, or it's on my list to read but it certainly sounds familiar. I'll see if I can get a copy from our library now that they've got a pick up system in place.

One book I have fallen in love with is: "Native Plants for New England Gardens" which I stumbled upon at my local library. My interest in natives grew even deeper after I found a 2018 podcast with the authors talking about what they do and how the book came to be. I can't remember if I had learned about the various gardens (native, educational and/or ornamental) in MA prior to finding that book or not, but I think at least some (on top of already knowing about Amherst's Ag school from my stint at grad work there before I transferred to another M.F.A. program in MN).

Then there's the wildcrafting interest I've had, and how angry I got when I found out how much is stripped by "small businesses" mostly making oils. They could grow the stuff in their yards instead of take it from the forests. It can still be wild...but that's another ramble and I've probably rambled too much as it is already. ;-)

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I so envy folks like you and James who have the knowledge and wherewithal--not to mention the green thumb--to make your little corner beautiful. Not only do I have a black thumb, I'm also suddenly and severely allergic to poison ivy, of which a large percentage of my back yard (mostly wooded) and part of the front is comprised. I can't even get out to pull weeds without getting into it.

I like to read about your thoughts and plans for your yard, Lily, even though most of it sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher to me: "Wa-wa, wa-wa-wa, wa."
Bonnie

Lily left the valley

Bonnie, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and the concept often shaped by trendsetters, marketers and those that write up articles and community codes for what is acceptable and/or desirable.) To me, what is within "neighbor view" is also a large part of the equation for my process for various reasons. I have a feeling I'm not the only one in this regard, with the notion of social norms and expectations breathing down my neck guiding decisions, budget allocations and timelines.

Our backyard is mostly hidden from casual passing folk due to the shape of the property, with Beebe blocking most of it, and even the garage visually hides more behind and to Beebe's left when facing her. That gives me a bit more mental freedom if anything to let things do their own thing for a bit before I decide what volunteers will need to be culled, moved or encouraged. The front yard I always hold a bit of guilt about because I know how glorious is could be (and in my mind should be--even with only natives), but time and finances have made that a slow path which I'm just thankful no one has complained about to me or the city. Otherwise I'd have to adjust my slow process somehow to meet that societal acceptance level. ;-) Not everyone has the gifts of time and neighborly tolerance to dabble, especially if they live in a strict HOA.

I actually got a chuckle from your post because Zillow sent me a notice this week about what they think our property is currently worth. When I clicked out of curiosity, I noticed our Google street view image had been updated to show Beebe post purchase by us. They couldn't have chosen a worse time of the year in my mind because it was sometime last fall when I tend to let whatever grasses out on the front slope grow to seed because I know the local critters eat and stash them for winter. (Fortunately, Gardner adheres to the federal limit for "lawn" grass height--ornamental gasses are not included--so I have quite a bit of leeway there which many would not.) I also leave some leaves for all the leaf rollers that nest in them over winter and dead basic mulch in beds. I cringed when I looked at the streetview because since most of the flowering plants were pretty much spent, that made the poor winter burned holly bushes (two Princess Blues, one of the Gardner staples) stand out like sickness beacons and reminded me that I didn't cut back the damaged parts before winter--the one on the east side especially so.

All the projects relating to the regrade I didn't get to were glaringly obvious and I can easily see how any passerby would think our yard was, as James said, "unkempt and weedy". Especially when compared to our neighbor on the east with their trim and still verdant green lawn. At least our neighbors to the west don't have that "American tidy lawn" look, but ours still lacks greater height variety and visual fall interest beyond the natural color changes of what vegetation we have so far. After I had looked at the image a bit, I realized I desperately wished we could have already removed the later added siding and painted our house with the the mostly honey based palette we plan. The "soft olive" seemed washed out gray harshly divided by the white topped by the dark roof further drearified the overall look. Of course the prior poorly done asphalt driveway with all its heave and cracks showing don't help either. :P

Yet to my eye, I love that it at least looks like fall. Subtle warm shades with a bit of fading yellow greens mottled low within, colors that herald the coming winter in the constant cycle of passing time. That touches upon, as James also said, the notion that with gardening "It's a blend of art and science."

Aside from all the wonderful old house details that attracted us to Beebe, what greenery we could see in the snowy late fall we viewed her (in particular knowing of the hard to wait out for the establishing time as with trees and mature shrubs present) was also part of why we were drawn to her. The Google view of the property at the time also showed her in a warmer weather view with some perennials (Gardner standards all) in their glory. Once our first spring here started rolling around, we made even more discoveries like the fact that we had four berry types already established (and later realized a fifth as well but the latter had to be upkept to help it switch focus from spreading to fruiting.) We were lucky in that this property was not just a bare bones Gardner standard plants basic landscape. We had a leg up right from the start.

I want to also delve into knowledge, time available, budgets and green thumbs, but now that I have hot water on demand again, I have a lot of catch-up chores to do. (Mother Nature has been kind to gift us with scattered showers today, giving me excuse to beg off garden time.) I'll post more tonight about those aspects.

As to your ivy problem...have you looked into goat rentals? It's becoming more common where you can rent a goat herd for a few days (they either picket them if town code allows or a herder brings them and takes them home each day). They are great at getting rid of that and brush in general. Read more here: Hire Some Goats.

Here's the newer street view:

Lily left the valley

Quick update on the nine Monarch eggs I brought in on the 2nd, all but three have hatched. One is likely to hatch overnight (the egg is near to bursting), we'll see how the other two go.

The two Grandpa Otts that have broken ground are steadily growing. Still no sign of the other seeds planted, sadly.

Two pie pumpkins are also plugging along. Yesterday I managed to clear back some of the creepers that were encroaching on the basil which seemed to perked up from that today. We are still woefully behind with our kitchen garden. Sean did spot a volunteer grape just outside the compost yesterday as well. We're going to leave it for now.

Unless we get rain tomorrow, we'll finally get the new blueberries in the ground. I hope to clear a bed and at least give some pretense of planting peas, beans, and squashes. I may try some corn, but it's really darn late to be starting those. Time will tell.

Bonnie, I really will get back on track with the rest of what we were discussing, I just don't know when. Not enough hours in the day! :D

Lily left the valley

Nature enjoying your garden has its good and bad moments.

Bad: Last night I heard snuffling after dusk outside my office window. (Likely one of the local skunks grubbing.) Although nothing alarmed it, a distinctly not just something skunks make recognizable odor started wafting through the window to let me know I'd be needing to scoop out something from their "bathroom". Before I could get to it today, we had a downpour. So guess what still smells freshly made? :doh:

Good: Finding yet another handful of new volunteers and/or visitors you hadn't seen before. Did I mention the grape Sean found twining around whatever that prolific bush is in front of the compost the other day?