Baby steps towards the future gardens of Beebe

All things horticultural, the very best gardens the District has to offer can be found here
Lily left the valley
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Baby steps towards the future gardens of Beebe

Postby Lily left the valley » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:41 pm

When Sean and I did our walkabout tonight, I noticed another a common whitetail dragonfly, but this one definitely had the obviously white tail of a mature male. It was too quick for me to get a picture.

As I showed him some of my finds along the rock wall, we indeed seem to have a very berry yard. This is wonderful even if I haven't ID'd them all yet. Since they are firmly planted in the border rock wall, I also feel like until they grow a bit our way, most of these we should not lay claim to if they turn out to be edibles. Two different plants, grouped accordingly below:
Image Image

Image Image Image

Under the side porch, this is growing like mad, and I am going mad trying to remember what it is. Trying to get a match through Google image is not working. I know I know what this is, but my brain is not yielding the info. That one spot per leaf is so distinct, how can I possibly not recall this? :angry-banghead:
Image Image

I forgot to mention that earlier, I noticed where we had found the dead egg in the nest in our garage overhang, two birds seem to be nesting there again. I keep forgetting to look to see if they pushed the old egg out or not, but the one was very verbal today when I was hanging laundry in two different attempts between showers today. (Two attempts worth it, though! All but the one hand towel were dry as I yanked them off the line a second time as the drops started to fall again.)

Last image for the day, was taking a random snap of the daylilies in the garage bed, and it wasn't until I uploaded it later that I realized...are those elderberries I see in the upper right corner? And, I'm not sure, because Shoobie is close by, but what am I seeing in the upper left too? Oh, and yes. Wild strawberries. Wild strawberries everywhere. We are going to be buried in berries in short order here. I still haven't learned how to can, nor do I have the supplies for such. :whistle:

"No rest for the overly imaginative."

--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Baby steps towards the future gardens of Beebe

Postby Lily left the valley » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:42 am

Another week of "I might rain...or I might not. Oh! Are you trying to do something outdoors? Definitely raining then." :sad-darkcloud:

We have had some solid discussions while sitting on the porch edges and looking out. I don't remember exactly when it occurred to me, but I realized my hope of having a small tree on the curve near the driveway is pretty much dashed now that the water and sewer pipes are marked. :-(

I am getting a bit nervous as I realize how much we want to start doing has to wait until fall now. We have oodles of lilies. OODLES. Pretty much that entire east strip against the house is nothing but them, and they shouldn't be moved until fall.

We did decide despite that to ditch the idea of using the rough cut stones as a side stair up the slope on the driveway side. Instead we will clear out pretty much all the plantings along that east strip to lay a walk way that has a gentler rise, and less worry about anyone falling or needing railings as would the original plan. Once I dig out my cold chisel and can start separating those from where they are laid now (at least two layers high, possibly more), we'll find out if we have enough or not for the distance we hope to cover. We're also trying to figure out when we might flip the stair direction on the side stairs. It may wait until next year, as it's not a fire, and will cost at least something because of what will need to be replaced during the take apart stage. We still need to finish setting aside funds for attic insulation as a priority. So anything non essential that costs money gets benched for now until that's done.

The too short ladder episode put the weirdest procrastination excuse wrapper on any rain gutter work. (I did find a plan for a neat ladder with a flexible footing base though!) Well, that, and the :sad-darkcloud:. The forecast is starting to suggest more sun than rain coming up, so hopefully the rain chain will finally get hung.

As suspected, the rain barrel did still settle a bit despite my hasty earth moving and stoning under, but it's not enough to worry about by far. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how little it shifted. We'll fix it when we do the walkway.

I am still trying to find free rocks. I know they are out there. Meanwhile, I've started piling up some we already have so I can get an idea of how much of the west strip to start working on without having to worry I'm just going to be making a huge mud puddle.

As much as I love how meadowy the back yard looks right now, I know that has to change and soon. Still sketching out the plan.

The compost pile is starting to do its thing, and I know it's taking so long because I keep forgetting to turn it once a day. Getting more regular with that, though.

The remaining Oriental Bittersweet we could not reach is like a visual stab in my eyes. Sean has off on Monday, so I'm hoping no rain that day! :happy-bouncyyellow:

Looking forward to that moment when things start falling into place and progress feels more forward than stagnant. :confusion-waiting:
"No rest for the overly imaginative."

--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Return to “Park Avenue”