Victorian Ginger Spice Cake

Secret recipes and family favorites for your period kitchen
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

The following comes from my blog over at http://mccuistonhouse.com/victorian-ginger-spice-bundt-cake/. Please follow my blog as I try to update every day! I am in the process of going through the recipes in my new 1868 cookbook, which recipes I will be uploading soon:

My church has an annual Christmas dinner, which usually proves to be quite the spread. As we often joke, we Baptists know how to cook!

I decided to make something special this year as my contribution, and this Victorian ginger cake proved to be the perfect thing. I made several of these over the Christmas holiday as they were so popular.

Just a few weeks prior, I had purchased an antique stoneware bundt bowl. I decided these would be a nice thing to collect as they are not only pretty to look at but also useful if there are no cracks or chips. I used the late 1800s bundt dish to make this cake.

Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan. (If using an antique stoneware dish: DO NOT preheat oven! Place dish with all contents into a cold oven so that it may gradually warm as the oven does.)
2.In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, and mix in the molasses.
3.In a bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water. Pour into the prepared pan.
4.Bake 1 hour in the oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before removing from pan. (If using a stoneware dish: remove from dish as soon as possible, elsewise the cake will likely overcook on the edges as the stoneware will retain a fair amount of heat.)

Garnish
◾Sift a light coating of confectioners sugar on the top of the cake
◾Fresh sugared cranberries: Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved (usually about 3 minutes).Remove from heat and stir in the desired amount of cranberries, being sure to coat them well with the sugar water mixture. Remove the cranberries from the sugar water and place them on a cookie rack to dry for about an hour. Once dry, they should be sticky to the touch. Roll the cranberries in sugar, being sure to thoroughly coat all sides of the berries. (These also make a nice little snack by themselves.)
◾You may wish to add rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves to garnish the cake as well.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Victorian Ginger Spice Cake

Post by Manalto »

Beautiful, and delicious, I bet, with a big glass of chilled cider.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Victorian Ginger Spice Cake

Post by JacquieJet »

I just made your cake for my grandmother! She LOVED it! Thanks so much for sharing :)
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!