Circa 1850 Mitchell Family Persimmon Pudding

Secret recipes and family favorites for your period kitchen
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Circa 1850 Mitchell Family Persimmon Pudding

Post by SouthernLady »

Taken from my blog. You can see my original post here: http://www.mccuistonhouse.com/circa-1850-persimmon-pudding/.

If you have never had persimmon pudding, you really don’t know what you’re missing.

My grandpa had a very old persimmon tree on his farm. When I was a little girl, my uncle tricked me into biting into a persimmon that hadn’t ripened yet. That’s probably why I needed braces as a teenager–that thing was so bitter that it drew my forming teeth under my gums crooked!

A ripe persimmon, however, is very delicious!

I made this persimmon pudding for my pastor and his wife from California persimmons that a family brought to our pastor after moving to our church from that state. They know he loves persimmon pudding. As our pastor’s wife is unable to cook due to very bad health, he gave me the persimmons to make something with them.

Having never cooked with persimmons before, I decided to search for the oldest persimmon pudding recipe that I could find, and this is it!

I am used to persimmon pudding in fudge-like bars, but this cake-like consistency was so delicious! I found the recipe here.

C. 1850 Mitchell Family Persimmon Pudding

Ingredients
2 cups persimmon pulp (one pint)
2 eggs
1 Cup white sugar
4 Cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
6 Cups milk
1 Tablespoon butter

Directions
1.Preheat the oven to 350 °F. (If using a stoneware bowl like mine: DO NOT preheat the oven or it may crack the bowl! Place the bowl with the contents into a cold oven to allow the stoneware to gradually heat with the oven.)
2.In a large bowl, stir together the persimmon pulp and eggs using a whisk. Stir in sugar. In another bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Stir this dry mix into the persimmon alternating with milk until smooth. Pour into a large greased crock or casserole dish. Drop dabs of butter on top.
3.Bake for 2-2.5 hours in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes. The pudding will be a thick, dark brown when finished (see photo). (If you desire a more cake-like consistency like mine, do not stir the mixture.)
4.Allow to cool a bit and serve. You may wish to serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Circa 1850 Mitchell Family Persimmon Pudding

Post by Manalto »

Thanks for posting this. I look forward to trying this dish I've never had before.