Fanny Farmer Peanut Butter Cookies

Secret recipes and family favorites for your period kitchen
SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Fanny Farmer Peanut Butter Cookies

Post by SmellyHouse »

Direct from my mom's 1955 Fannie Farmer cookbook, still the best peanut butter cookies I've ever eaten.

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter (I prefer Jif's extra crunchy)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 beaten egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease some cookie sheets. Cream the butter and peanut butter together. Beat in the two sugars, then add the egg and the vanilla and mix well. Mix together the salt, baking soda, and flour and add to the first mixture, combining thoroughly. Arrange by teaspoonfuls on the cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Press each one flat with the back of a floured spoon. Bake about 7 minutes or 'til firm.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Re: Fanny Farmer Peanut Butter Cookies

Post by Olson185 »

Sounds good and looks easy. I wonder if they absorb milk. A good cookie will always absorb the right amount of milk without falling apart.

I didn't know of Fannie Farmer (the person) only Fanny Farmer (the candy and ice cream retailer).
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Re: Fanny Farmer Peanut Butter Cookies

Post by SmellyHouse »

I'm not a dunker, but I can tell you that they are, if you bake them right (and don't squish them too hard when crosshatching), thick enough to be slightly underbaked in the center, if that's the way you like your cookies. So I have to assume they are dunkable.

Trust me, try them. You won't be disappointed. Also a good base to plunk chocolate chips into, or a Hershey's kiss on top of. Just sayin' :)