Gluten Free Brownies

Secret recipes and family favorites for your period kitchen
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Gluten Free Brownies

Post by Willa »

This recipe has always worked well for me and makes rich brownies with a good texture . I use lots of walnuts - you can skip these or add another nut instead. Easy.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a double boiler melt 3.5 oz unsweetened chocolate with 9 tablespoons butter (this = 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon).

Lightly beat 3 eggs, add 1 1/4 cup sugar. Add 2 - 4 tbsp good unsweetened cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup besan (chick pea flour*). Add the melted chocolate/butter mixture while mixing slowly. Add 1/4 cup or more chopped walnuts. Butter and flour a 9 x 9" pan, then pour the mixture in.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Check with a toothpick for doneness in center.

* Besan is available in Indian groceries.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Gluten Free Brownies

Post by JacquieJet »

I actually bake with besan from time to time to get some extra protein into my vegetarian kiddos! Thanks for sharing, Willa!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Have you heard about aquafaba ? It is the water from cooked chickpeas and other legumes. It has amazing emulsifying properties, so much so that it can replace egg whites, and can even be used to make a vegan meringue.

I'm not vegan, but have friends who are. If you are on the experimental end of recipes and cooking check it out:

http://aquafaba.com/

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

I have actually heard of it! Heh heh, those tricky vegans :D
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!