Balsamic Tenderloin Steak with Arugula Rice Pilaf

Secret recipes and family favorites for your period kitchen
Mick_VT

Balsamic Tenderloin Steak with Arugula Rice Pilaf

Post by Mick_VT »

Okay here goes, let's get the scrapbook started. Not very period, but I love this Italian dish - it would be great for a restaurant as you can prepare it fully in about 20 minutes and people are wow-ed by it

Balsamic steak

This recipe is sized for one person, you can double up for two but if you want to go more use two pans side by side. I like it with a side salad, or usually if entertaining I serve with snap peas, or asparagus (either grilled or buttered and steamed). I guess it would go with steamed broccoli too (if you like that kind of thing). Recipe for the pilaf follows.

Ingredients:
1 x thick cut steak - tenderloin is by far the best and worth the extra expense, either way I prefer something about an inch or more thick as I like it juicy and rare in the middle. Thinner cuts would cook faster and more thoroughly obviously. As always it is usually best to allow the steak to come up from room temp for an hour or so before cooking. You can cook it from the fridge but you will need the slightly longer end of the cooking time.

1 x golf ball sized shallot - I sometimes use two because I love the topping as much as the steak. Topped, tailed, peeled and sliced.

A good olive oil & some butter (you can use all butter if you prefer, do not use all oil)

A good balsamic vinegar - as this is a big part of the taste its worth a splurge on a really good bottle. The recipe does not use a lot, and its really handy for making balsamic dressing or for use on Caprese salads too.

A good cast iron skillet is the very best for this - but you can use a regular sauté pan. A pair of tongs to handle the meat and shallot is usually better than anything else.

Method:
Warm the oven to about 170F then switch it off, put a plate in it. This is where you will let the steak rest.

Preheat the pan on medium high, melt about 1/4 - 1/2 ounce (guessing here as I just cut a knob) in the pan, also add in the olive oil. Add the steak, reduce the heat to nearer medium and cook for about 3.5 - 4 minutes this will give a nice juicy rare to medium rare. Do not mess with it in the pan, just let it cook, do not cover it other than with one of those spatter guard things, the smoke alarm may sound, but this is good, as you are searing it.

Turn the steak over and repeat. Once the steak is done grab the plate from the oven and put the steak on it, season well with salt and fresh ground black pepper and set it back in the warm oven to rest.

Reduce the heat in the pan to between low and medium, add some more butter (about the same amount as before), and add the shallots. Cook those for about 3 minutes, you just want them to soften up.

Remove the pan from the heat, stir and add (I’m guessing volume) around a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and stir in.

Serve the shallots directly on top of the steak and drizzle it all with the buttery reduced balsamic from the pan.

Note:
The first time you do this you may not get exactly steak the temp you want - I have found different pans, stoves etc cause a lot of variance. But that’s a good excuse to try it again! Of course you can get technical and use a meat thermometer if you like, just remember that as always it continues to cook while it rests.

Arugula Rice Pilaf

I essentially stole this recipe from a TV chef way back, and I love it, its very easy and tastier than the boxed stuff. This recipe will easily cook enough for two. It is hard to cook this for 1, but it re-heats well and is also an awesome snack cold for lunch, or just whenever.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup orzo pasta (any small pasta works well, but orzo is best)
1/2 cup white rice (I usually go for basmati, but any really)
1 cups chicken stock - I usually get the pre boxed organic sodium free
about 1 cup chopped arugula (usually get baby arugula)
Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (dont skimp by using pre-grated that stuff is bad, and will ruin this dish) - this is to taste but I’d usually use an ounce or two.

Method:
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the orzo and toast until deeply golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and toss with the orzo. Add the stock and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 15 minutes until tender (this will vary with the rice you use). Stir in the arugula and cheese and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve, or directly plate.

Note:
If doing this with the steak recipe above, start this first and once you add the stock to the rice, start the steak. No worries if this finishes first, just let it sit warm in its pan until the steak is ready.

If plating the meal you can put some shallot and drizzle some of the balsamic goodness from the steak onto the rice too.

It serves really well with a good Pinot Noir or Montepulciano.
Mick...