Toronto 1950's Double Oven Deluxe Gas Stove

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Toronto 1950's Double Oven Deluxe Gas Stove

Post by JacquieJet »

Whoa. Look at that!! What a gorgeous stove. It's a shame that the seller is iffy... that sure is a find!! Love it.

I'm still looking for a gas stove for my kitchen to replace my Jennair, to buddy up with my 1963 Frigidaire Flair (because that baby isn't going anywhere!).
Have lately been considering a Big Chill, just because they are North American made and look great, and also because the Pro is currently on sale... decisions decisions!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Maybe you would have more luck with that seller ? The posting has been up for two months now.

I chewed him out via email for the whopping difference between what he told Gothichome and me. He tried to claim the difference in price was due to him "making a mistake" though $ 1700 does not sound remotely like $ 2500 - either in writing or speaking.

I looked for more info about what brand it is (NOT Robertshaw it turns out) and while it shows similarities to several brands of stoves of that age no positive ID could be found. It may have been a deluxe show room model or custom version. It appears one of the timers is missing from the left hand side.

The seller is a realtor who plainly does not know a thing about vintage stoves. He blabbered on about how some alleged stove service person told him that a new stove like that "would cost $ 25,000" (commercial stoves do not cost that much - and even a 6 burner AGA is a fraction of that price). Yet when questioned, no THAT stove had not been serviced or refurbished.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Lovesickest, it always drives me crazy when someone gets a notion about what something should cost that doesn't seem to be based in any reality. I've walked away from many a possible sale because of that. You can never tell if they foolishly believe what makes no sense, or if they just pulled the number out of thin air because someone will be willing to pay that sum for this rare/antique/unique/et al item.

I wonder if that realtor got suckered and thinks they might be able to find a bigger sucker.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

As far as I could tell, the seller had a rental property with this stove in it. He probably wanted to sell the stove and replace it with something modern to be able to charge more rent. I googled his name and he is a realtor.

Property values are insane in Toronto, and so are rental prices. Replace this fine stove with a new "stainless"garbage stove, charge $ 500.00 more a month for the house rental and pay off the new garbage stove within 3-4 months, and increase your profits by $ 6000/year. Depending on the area, an entire house will rent for $ 2500+ per month. I have seen house rentals on CL for $ 4000, $ 5000 and even more in the greater Toronto area.

As a realtor, he should understand that property is only worth what someone will pay for it !

It's the WORST when someone has an antique or vintage thing that they are convinced is worth a very unrealistic price. While that stove "could" sell for $ 10,000 - that would only be after a complete and extensive overhaul by a business that deals exclusively in vintage or antique stoves AND that this stove had some rare and desirable features AND the condition was perfect AND the market was hopping for this type of vintage stove. Meanwhile, on local Kijiji and CL, vintage stoves of this age/condition are listed for $ 200 - 600 CAN.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Love, I honestly adore the fact that we are all so frank about how we dislike that some folks don't understand that new doesn't always equal better. It makes me smile every time I read a post like yours.

Sadly, he'll either find a sucker, or eventually realize his gold mine is missing enough gold--though I hope he doesn't just scrap it in disappointment.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.