the Radio Geek thread

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: the Radio Geek thread

Post by phil »

I had bubble bobble and Arcon. they were both arcade games. I replaced some caps and they worked better but it wasn't long and I was tired of giving up space. I guess there are still different manufacturers of Electrolytic caps but yea I don't trust them as much as I'd like to. I'd like to think my restorations would last longer than 20 or 30 years and it's a bit disheartening to think they are failing and well sealed in their original cans. On small radios sometimes you need the space they won't fit underneath but on the pre-war ones usually there is room below deck. sometimes i just install a little terminal strip as they need something to be stuck to so they don't jiggle around in there, and lots are isolated from the chassis. some of the ones from as far back as 1929 only had cardboard caps even though they are potted in tar inside a tin box. When that is the case I usually use mylar or orange drops. I have even had good sucess with drilling out the black beauties on my metal lathe. They are always bad but just like the paper sleeves they can be restuffed.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

phil wrote: I'd like to think my restorations would last longer than 20 or 30 years and it's a bit disheartening to think they are failing and well sealed in their original cans.

I see electrolytics as a tune-up item, kind of like changing out the spark plugs in an engine. Just something that has to be done on occasion. If I re-stuff a can, I'll try to leave a way to get back in them without too much trouble down the road.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have a few Philcos and they were famous for potting several components together in bakelite tar filled blocks. They have terminals but some are only used as tie points for other components while others have capacitors, even mica ones or resistors encased inside. Evidently there is a book published that helps decipher what's inside different blocks differentiated by part numbers. some have rubber wire where every one has turned to either goo or peanut brittle. I've done some like that and it's very time consuming. I keep weighing time for restorations against work on the house and the house keeps winning. I'm hoping that in a few years Ill be able to settle down at the bench and do a bit more. Its a very enjoyable hobby. hopefully there will still be stations to tune into for a while. we have one oldies station and CBC and the rest is pretty hard to listen to for too long.