Arvin Lectric Cook, Model 3400

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Arvin Lectric Cook, Model 3400

Post by Manalto »

In the process of clearing out my parents' house for sale, I encountered the waffle iron I grew up with. Doing a quick search, I was only able to find model 3500, which dates from the late 1940s so I am assuming this one is from around that time, or maybe a little earlier, just post war. Here it is this morning, a little scratched up but still going strong. Note softly-glowing indicator light.

The disadvantage of having parents who never threw anything away is obvious to anyone who has had to clear out a house like this one. An advantage is that you stumble upon little treasures like the user's manual for this 70 year old appliance.

Arvin was a brand name of Noblitt-Sparks Industries, Inc., Columbus, Indiana. According to the manual, they made electric irons, electric heaters and appliances, metal chrome-plated dinette sets, outdoor metal furniture, ironing tables, car heaters, radios, and televisions.

They didn't skimp when they made the 4-color, 23 page manual for this appliance, complete with hokey poetry. Here are a few pages:

Last edited by Manalto on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gothichome

Re: Arvin Lectric Cook, Model 3400

Post by Gothichome »

James, a nice find. My parents had some thing similar, nicely chromed and one of those Bakelite removable plugs. The top lifted high and the lid had the weight of a brick. It squished the grilled cheese really thin but it was the best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever had.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I recognize the name from radios they made a lot of styles. I think some were "hot chassis" this means you can get a shock if you touch the chassis and the only insulation is the knobs.

Neat pamphlet. I have a "brownie radio" that I used as a kid and later found the original box which sports a "typical" American family enjoying time at the beach

fun stuff , i have to take some pics of my toaster collection ; -) the one I'm using is an art deco drop down toaster, prior to the pop up toaster. you have to push the paddle down, and then drop the toast in or it drops right through ;) It still works so I use it.. I have one I want to show you guys Its just legs and a grill and you just plug it in and put the toast on top. It has a wooden "shelf" nickle plated legs. I think it missed the CSA / UL sticker ;-) looks dangerous to me.

I have one with the little doors too.. that one toasts only one side at a time.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

That is beautiful. Seriously.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

A nice, high quality appliance. Even better that you know the story and have a personal connection to it. Most small appliances of this era are extremely reliable and low maintenance as long as you keep them clean.

I'd say your date estimate of mid to late '40s is spot on.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Faboo find from your childhood, James. Finding the manual as well is even better.

I have been struggling to get my Floor Manager to approve of any waffle iron I've shown him for a while, and I'm starting to get testy because I miss home made waffles. (Sometimes I wish he never had that fill in job at Waffle House when we first lived in NC--it made him a waffle iron snob.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:50 am I have been struggling to get my Floor Manager to approve of any waffle iron I've shown him for a while...
Keep trying. There's no Sunday breakfast like warm, crispy-tender waffles with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Maybe a wee round one rather than a behemoth like the 3400? Found this on my local Craigslist. Nothing beats cast iron for achieving a golden-brown crust. I'd be tempted but it's rather optimistically priced.

The Arvin made the cut and is now sitting in the pantry in Alabama, awaiting its second life. (The user's manual is somewhere - carefully tucked away in the dreaded "safe place.") In my zeal to clean it, I removed the orangey patina on the irons. A test run resulted in a disastrous mess of stuck waffles; I'll have to season the irons before using again. I'd better get a move on. The number is dwindling of those who will wax nostalgic about the Belgian waffles at the 1964 World's Fair.

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:03 amKeep trying. There's no Sunday breakfast like warm, crispy-tender waffles with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Maybe a wee round one rather than a behemoth like the 3400? Found this on my local Craigslist. Nothing beats cast iron for achieving a golden-brown crust. I'd be tempted but it's rather optimistically priced.

The Arvin made the cut and is now sitting in the pantry in Alabama, awaiting its second life. (The user's manual is somewhere - carefully tucked away in the dreaded "safe place.") In my zeal to clean it, I removed the orangey patina on the irons. A test run resulted in a disastrous mess of stuck waffles; I'll have to season the irons before using again. I'd better get a move on. The number is dwindling of those who will wax nostalgic about the Belgian waffles at the 1964 World's Fair.
We recently got a small cast iron frying pan, and neither of us is used to not overcleaning it because it's been so long since either of us had any. I had a few cast pieces years ago, but they were among the kitchen items accidentally left behind when a cabinet did not get emptied during a move. :-o
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 am...neither of us is used to not overcleaning it because it's been so long since either of us had any...
I like a chain link scrubber for cast iron. Use it under warm running water (no soap) and dry the pan on the stove. The "seasoning" will remain.

Lily left the valley

Manalto wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:16 am
Lily left the valley wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 am...neither of us is used to not overcleaning it because it's been so long since either of us had any...
I like a chain link scrubber for cast iron. Use it under warm running water (no soap) and dry the pan on the stove. The "seasoning" will remain.

*takes notes* Thank you!