Vintage Green Kitchens for Jade

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Vintage Green Kitchens for Jade

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:
Willa wrote:RetroRenovation did a story about that pattern of flooring.

I just had a look at that article and, in the comments section, someone who had recently sent a letter to Armstrong pleading for them to re-issue some of their old linoleum designs, received this response: “Unfortunately we are discontinuing our genuine linoleum products.”

Better get it straight from the horse's mouth. Armstrong may have discontinued that pattern ?

Armstrong's site still offers a variety of linoleum:

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/commercial/en-us/products/linoleum.html

Marmoleum, manufactured by Forbo is genuine linoleum, still available:

https://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products/Flooring-Marmoleum

Johnsonite also manufactures genuine linoleum:

https://commercial.tarkett.com/en_US/category-tna_C05010-linoleum?tab=COLLECTIONS&filter-brand%5B%5D=Johnsonite&page=1

I don't know of any companies that manufacture or sell patterned linoleum though.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

It's true, I didn't consult the horse's mouth but don't appreciate being accused of resembling its other end. I take no pleasure in reporting on this possible loss, so to paraphrase an old expression, "don't assault the messenger."

Forgive me for appearing to spread a rumor. I'm not a journalist so I didn't feel professionally obliged to confirm my source. I repeated the comment I saw on RR (and cited it as such) because it's a active, mainstream site. Those who have plans to get linoleum from Armstrong can feel free to check for themselves if the claim is valid.

The commenter didn't say Armstrong had discontinued; but were discontinuing, in the present progressive tense, which is routinely employed to describe events in the future (The Obamas are coming for dinner; We are sailing to Liverpool in the spring) The presence of linoleum products on the Armstrong site simply means that they are still offered today. (It's not dinnertime or spring yet.)

"Genuine linoleum products" is pretty clear to me. 5352 was discontinued decades ago.

Nor am I Chicken Little. Other companies that produce linoleum aren't Armstrong. I'm glad to see that they're still offering the product even if it has lost its panache.

Curiosity got the better of me, plus I was deeply embarrassed by my sloppy reporting, so I called Armstrong.this morning. They told me they stopped manufacturing linoleum "a while ago" and will only continue to sell it as long as they have inventory. The horse has spoken.

awomanwithahammer wrote:I found another green kitchen for Jade:

An olive-green floor and/or walls with those cabinets would be a classic 50s combination,

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:It's true, I didn't consult the horse's mouth but don't appreciate being accused of resembling its other end. I take no pleasure in reporting on this possible loss, so to paraphrase an old expression, "don't assault the messenger."

Forgive me for appearing to spread a rumor. I'm not a journalist so I didn't feel professionally obliged to confirm my source. I repeated the comment I saw on RR (and cited it as such) because it's a active, mainstream site. Those who have plans to get linoleum from Armstrong can feel free to check for themselves if the claim is valid.

The commenter didn't say Armstrong had discontinued; but were discontinuing, in the present progressive tense, which is routinely employed to describe events in the future (The Obamas are coming for dinner; We are sailing to Liverpool in the spring) The presence of linoleum products on the Armstrong site simply means that they are still offered today. (It's not dinnertime or spring yet.)

"Genuine linoleum products" is pretty clear to me. 5352 was discontinued decades ago.

Nor am I Chicken Little. Other companies that produce linoleum aren't Armstrong. I'm glad to see that they're still offering the product even if it has lost its panache.

Curiosity got the better of me, plus I was deeply embarrassed by my sloppy reporting, so I called Armstrong.this morning. They told me they stopped manufacturing linoleum "a while ago" and will only continue to sell it as long as they have inventory. The horse has spoken.

awomanwithahammer wrote:I found another green kitchen for Jade:

An olive-green floor and/or walls with those cabinets would be a classic 50s combination,

Please don't take offence ! I didn't phone Armstrong to verify, like you did. People can and do say anything in comments sections - like here. I couldn't find the piece on Retro Renovation - as they have many posts about linoleum and vintage looking flooring materials - so I could not wade through the comments to find THAT comment. Maybe you should contact RetroRenovation to let them know what Armstrong told you, as this would be of interest to their readers. That site has been great about giving a heads up when an established supplier is discontinuing a line or closing down completely.

I think it is too bad that any company is discontinuing linoleum, as it is a superior product to vinyl flooring.

I do know from experience in that phoning around to local (Canadian) flooring places(c.2017), that most of the staff I spoke with was unfamiliar with genuine linoleum, they didn't carry it (not even clearance/end of the roll places) and couldn't recommend a floorlayer to install it = the demise of linoleum in the greater market.

I hope it will survive in a niche market. I wonder how much inventory Armstrong is sitting on, and how that will be dealt with ?

I apologize for ruffling your feathers. No disrespect was intended.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

No offense taken. The tone of my comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I guess I need a little more practice conveying that.

If you think the folks at RR would like to know the bad news about Armstrong's linoleum line, feel free to notify them. I'm only an occasional visitor there.

It's too bad, isn't it, that we seem to be losing this wonderful flooring product?

My experience in the past looking for linoleum has been that you say the word linoleum but the salespeople hear "vinyl." When you clarify, they look at you as if you stepped off a spaceship in a foil hat.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I installed Marmoleum in my home kitchen. I LOVE it. It feels good underfoot and the pattern is pleasing to my eye. I drove to Asheville, NC, to get it but there is actually a vendor in Knoxville who sells and installs it. My only regret is getting the sheet linoleum instead of the Click. The sheet doesn't come in a wide enough roll to cover most rooms, so it must be seamed, and the seam is pretty noticeable. It is also considerably more expensive than vinyl, so I'm sure that contributes to its lack of popularity among consumers.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

we had some battleship lino , green in color with a jute backing..
they are crazy about asbestos so they had it tested . it was negative, no asbestos.

I took the cork flooring stuff up out of my living room. pulled it up carefully flipped it over on the lawn and hosed it off, spent a couple days getting it clean, brought it in and dried it.

then I offered it up free on craigslist. Don;t know if he was successful in re-laying it but I did my best to pass the stuff along. It was cool but I like my restored wood floor better now.

awomanwithahammer

This popped up on my FB Marketplace today:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 367777690/
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

awomanwithahammer wrote:This popped up on my FB Marketplace today:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 367777690/

Those would be mine if:

a) I needed cabinets
b) lived in or around Knoxville

Jade, do you need cabinets ?

awomanwithahammer

Just pesky little details...
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

"I wonder what the purpose of the stool is. Too low to sit, no point in standing. For a child to do the dishes?"

Note there are no power outlets at least visible. If that clock needs to be wound that's what the stool is for ;-)