1937 Norge Stove - Mint Green

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

1937 Norge Stove - Mint Green

Post by Willa »

FANTASTIC 1937 Norge gas stove with amazing art deco style. It is complete*, even with the salt and pepper shakers. The seller is asking $ 2000.00 CAN. It's in St. Catherines, ON, which is near Niagara Falls.

* except for the lower handle and knob

What a beauty !

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-stove-oven-range/st-catharines/antique-norge-gas-stove/1368607756?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

norge1937.JPG
norge1937.JPG (77.59 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

$_59-7.JPG
$_59-7.JPG (60.05 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

$_59-12.JPG
$_59-12.JPG (89.93 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

$_59-8.JPG
$_59-8.JPG (79.97 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: 1937 Norge Stove - Mint Green

Post by phil »

why does it need a microphone? ;-)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Love that color with its pattern. Also love the deco look in general. :mrgreen:

Is that a light plus vent in or out on the top?

I wonder if the clock still works. I have yet to get our stove clock fixed. *sighs at self*

Shame about the three missing bits. Not sure how hard those would be to source.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Lily left the valley wrote:Is that a light plus vent in or out on the top?

I wonder if the clock still works. I have yet to get our stove clock fixed. *sighs at self*

Shame about the three missing bits. Not sure how hard those would be to source.

I'm pretty sure that is a light, though I suspect style triumphed over function. The burner cover slides back behind the burners, while the burners are in use. That was a really good, fuctional idea.

Parts can always be found...for a price...(plus also intense patience and perseverance). I googled the stove and saw a few other versions of this model, including in a grey and a peach. Several of them were also missing the lower handle, so I guess this was just a design flaw.

There are places like the Antique Appliance Club where parts for sale are posted ?

This is great looking but $ 2000.00 (CAN) is a whopping price.

50dfd9d29cc4da86da02a8aaee0b5b98.png
50dfd9d29cc4da86da02a8aaee0b5b98.png (434.15 KiB) Viewed 4269 times

c3692e96e52c2aae7af8f5d35a106a63--vintage-antiques-antique-art.jpg
c3692e96e52c2aae7af8f5d35a106a63--vintage-antiques-antique-art.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 4269 times

phil

Post by phil »

it might be 2K in an appliance store because they like the look and it attracts people but I don't see may paying that.
The broken handle can be cast from a mod from one of the others using black epoxy if you can't find one. the crows foot knob, I have a bunch of different ones.
The clock is likely similar to the ones in 1940's radios and there are enough of those floating around that it probably wouldn't stop the show. the pink one has an odd shaped dial but you could re-use the dial. the bezel on the green one might look better if it were re-chromed.
If you look at things like this, look at the knobs on the clock too, You can usually find one to fit off another older stove but there might be different styles if you are picky. In a pinch you can use a small marette - or wire connector, they are bakelite and roughly the right shape and some have a set screw to hold the wire.
often the little knobs have broken shafts that's something to look for that you might not at first notice.
the position of the knob shafts for the clock might make it a bit different youd have to open it up and compare to other clocks of the age but you can bet the maker bough the clock. usually the ones in radios have a switch to turn it on and that could be utilized. it wouldn't carry enough amps to run the stove if it were electric so you'd need a relay to do the high amperage switching so that it wasn't overloaded. it might be designed that way and have a relay already.
Its neat looking but I think many wouldn't want to rely on such an old stove or to have two stoves in one kitchen. it is a neat color and it would look cool if you wanted an authentic 1940/50's kitchen especially if green matched the decor and the rest. of course I was joking about he microphone but it kinda looks like one. I wondered if it was a vent or something. newer electric stoves usually have an oven vent through the back right burner that can be used for keeping things warm if the oven is on.

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

What a great stove. I will take a vintage stove over a "modern" one any day. My 1920's Tappan has served me well for over 25 years and will be functioning long after I'm gone. The most I have to do is to clean and regrease the valves every couple years. Using a "flint torch sparker" lighting the burners is a breeze.

I discovered this video when I was researching the purchase of a new refrigerator to replace the 20+ year old one which was rusting out on the freezer door. After watching this I got the most basic, affordable model which has served me well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk2TfF1M4r8

phil

Post by phil »

If I bought a gas stove I'd want it to work in a power outage but I wonder if the new ones would even work. More than likely they incorporate a proprietary PCB just to add "features". why does everything from a coffee pot to a microwave to a radio need a digital clock ? my coffee pot has a bunch of teeny buttons I cant' even read. some even need to have the proprietary coffee to work. Imagine all the crap we throw out because of completely unnecessary and unreliable PCB's

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Jamie wrote:{snip}I will take a vintage stove over a "modern" one any day. My 1920's Tappan has served me well for over 25 years and will be functioning long after I'm gone. The most I have to do is to clean and regrease the valves every couple years. Using a "flint torch sparker" lighting the burners is a breeze.
I love your stove. Thanks for the vid too, though there were no surprises for me there, just confirmation.

We wound up going a bit more retro in look than our home's age for our stove, as I just fell in love with it when I saw it on Craig's List and it was bought way before we bought our home though we knew we wanted older. Ours is sort of at a sweet spot of stove manufacturing because it looks like a very old cast iron wood burning stove, but it was built brand new at the time with electrical components--it's not a retrofit of an older stove. It does weigh a ton because of the cast iron, but fortunately we will only have to move it again when we redo the kitchen and then maybe touch up paint down the road. Our kitchen is tiny so it's difficult to take an image of the entire stove without climbing on a ladder outside and shooting through a window. The shot below was taken while sitting on our sink. The local natural gas line stops a block from our house. We cannot get gas installed here.

We are a small family and it's an easy fifteen minute walk to the nearest grocery if the car dies/roads not plowed well. So getting a small fridge wasn't too big a stretch when we finally got one (didn't have one for a few months. It was winter, we were budget challenged, so we used a cooler on the porch then later the cellar to stave off the purchase.) This was not the model we intended, but budget made us change our plans to suit immediate needs. Later we also bought a small freezer during early Black Friday sales since my MiL had given us a Home Despot gift card. The freezer helps us with berries and bulk sales that would never all fit in the tiny freezer on our fridge--can't even fit a smaller frozen turkey for holidays in the upper door freezer. :D Eventually, when the smaller fridge dies, we'll go back to our original plan, which is to make something more period looking like the last photo below to enclose the fridge only and freezer only, because why not if we can?
Image Image Image Image

I am a huge fan of older appliances. I also do not like the planned obsolescence nonsense they do nowadays, and I especially do not like unnecessary circuit boards. I also like to live as utility conscience as possible, which fortunately my Floor Manager realized the wisdom of pretty quickly after we moved here. Last year we didn't even have an AC because our house stays darn cool if you play the window game right. We also have one twin fan window insert that helps draw in cooler night temps faster so Sean sleeps better. This year we did get one A/C for the office because I acknowledged the computers need it, but we've only recently started needing to use it temperature wise, and likely will stop in September. So no regrets to that addition for the slight bump in the bill if it helps the computer last longer.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.