Refurbished 1950 Moffatt is Home !

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Refurbished 1950 Moffatt is Home !

Post by Willa »

I had my compact 1950 (+/-) Moffat stove rebuilt by Ed White in Port Hope, ON (no website). After many delays (on my end, waiting on renovations) it was finally delivered last week.

It is a scant 22.75" wide, with a teeny 16.75" wide oven. It is now in perfect working condition.

I am curious to see if my electricity bill will dip slightly, now that I am using an oven that is almost half the size of the one in the 30" stove that came with the house.

Personally, I prefer cooking with gas, but as I couldn't find any appliance places willing to service or repair a vintage gas stove, this was the only option. Ed even included a few small extra parts like a switch and a burner, if I ever need to attempt to source them again.

This was a very popular model as I saw several come and go on Kijiji. The full size model had two ovens - both the same small size as mine. It was like they stuck two small stoves together to make a bigger one.

A friend astutely pointed out that having element knobs at a low height within children's reach was very bad design !

The overall look of this stove was very popular for at least five years. As the models changed, the element knobs moved horizontally, which allowed for a wider oven. A later model even had glass knobs that lit up. I don't know when an oven window became customary. The glass oven dial lights up when it is turned on, there are indicator lights, a timer, a broiler and a warming oven. What else could I need ? There is NO oven light, but as I am not doing any fancy baking that requires vigilant monitoring without disturbance, this is not an issue (see 1950's comedy with housewives agonizing over a ruined souffle).

I seldom entertain, so a small stove suits me very well. I have reclaimed a couple of square feet of floor space, too, which helps the kitchen feel much better. This kitchen is very awkward, about 120 sq ft with four doorways and a large window (and a FIFTH doorway to the basement that was blocked in decades ago, now behind my cabinet). There is only a finite amount of space for things to fit.

Moffatt2.jpg
Moffatt2.jpg (693.34 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

Here is a Moffat from a similar year, with the double ovens:

14947861_10157911219985413_88931305071287177_n.jpg
14947861_10157911219985413_88931305071287177_n.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

Willa

Re: Refurbished 1950 Moffatt is Home !

Post by Willa »

Here's the later version with the light up knobs.

lightupdials.JPG
lightupdials.JPG (82.41 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Last edited by Willa on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, that looks great Willa, your good for another couple of decades at the least. When we come up for a visit we won’t insist on fresh baked goods, or a large turkey. :thumbup:

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Well, that looks great Willa, your good for another couple of decades at the least. When we come up for a visit we won’t insist on fresh baked goods, or a large turkey. :thumbup:

I'm good with the jello products ?

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Cute! It reminds me of the stove I had in my first apartment, although I'm sure that one was just a standard apartment size stove, not a vintage one.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

it's cute. If you build cabinets I'd put a little narrow cabinet beside for baking sheets and then if you ever change it it can have a standards sized opening. I think we are all waiting for pie pics now ;-)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I think this is the first time I'm ever saying this about a stove, but it's adorable.

Fantastic appliance, Willa, and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. :dance:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Oh Willa!!! What a beautiful little stove!! Ed did a wonderful job with it!!
Thanks for sharing- I love stuff like this!!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!