I *may* have fallen in love with a refrigerator...

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

I *may* have fallen in love with a refrigerator...

Post by JacquieJet »

Stumbled upon this gem recently... ahh! A pink 1960's Norge. LOVE it!
Sooo bummed out that it's in Pennsylvania!! It would be perfect with my 1963 pink Frigidaire!
Anyway, take a peek-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-PINK-N ... 2764511559 ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: I *may* have fallen in love with a refrigerator...

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The styling is very similar to a '58/'59 Norge washer/dryer pair a buddy of mine has that came with his house.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:The styling is very similar to a '58/'59 Norge washer/dryer pair a buddy of mine has that came with his house.

Oooooooooo... you should totally snap a picture of those and post it!! Your buddy is so lucky!!
1917-ish

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

JacquieJet wrote:Sooo bummed out that it's in Pennsylvania!! It would be perfect with my 1963 pink Frigidaire!

It's Pennsylvania not Transylvania ! Go get it ! It's PINK. It matches your stove and it is in working condition.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (561.22 KiB) Viewed 1553 times

s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg (950.54 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Last edited by Willa on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Willa wrote:
JacquieJet wrote:Sooo bummed out that it's in Pennsylvania!! It would be perfect with my 1963 pink Frigidaire!

It's Pennsylvania not Transylvania ! Go get it ! It's PINK. It matches your stove and it is in working condition.

LOL. I have thought about it! I just don't see how it would be possible with all my kids (3, ages 5 and under!), no childcare, and my husband works away from home and wouldn't be able to come. Aw well. I can still look and dream :)
1917-ish

Willa

Post by Willa »

JacquieJet wrote:
LOL. I have thought about it! I just don't see how it would be possible with all my kids (3, ages 5 and under!), no childcare, and my husband works away from home and wouldn't be able to come. Aw well. I can still look and dream :)

Well, it is missing the crisper drawers and shelf.

Who wouldn't want to make an expedition in a rented truck, during heavy snowfall, near the Xmas holidays with 3 kids under 5 to drive days to another country to pick up a used appliance ? If you were really lucky the seller might refuse to assist you in loading it, too. Then you might get some extra hassles from the Canadian border and have to pay duty. What's not to love about this scenario ?

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Actually, they do have the crisper. You can see it in another photo. I think they just removed it in that picture to show that the bottom of the fridge is clean :)

Haha, Willa the scenario you describe sounds exactly like I was picturing in my head... yeah, not so much fun!
Although, I DID pick up my Flair from Detroit... but that was many years ago, before kids! Funny enough, we picked it up during a race weekend event, and when we got to the border the officer pointed to the back of the truck and said, "camping equipment?" (lots of people camped out at the races, and we had a sheet thrown over top of the stove!). We just nodded and they sent us on our merry way!
1917-ish

Willa

Post by Willa »

I can imagine this scenario as being some kind of wacky comedy 80's movie, where everything that could go wrong does, with some extra terrible surprises, all in pursuit of that rare pink fridge.

Maybe after Xmas you will find an excellent (working and complete) one close to home - for cheap.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Thanks, Willa. Fingers and toes crossed!! :)
1917-ish

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I would discourage you from buying any fridge on Ebay. returning it would be a nightmare.

old fridges are notorious for being "working" the problem often is that they have lost some of the charge and Yes they work, the problem is they run like half the time.

I'd look for a good one local, there are lots of others with a more deco design. I painted a fridge before, it's easy. Just do a quick sand with fine wet or dry paper to get a clean surface then spray with auto paint. - acrylic enamal. You can get that mixed to match the other appliances if you take them a sample. Go where they sell auto paint to professionals.

a little HPLV gun is nice, You can get them cheap at harbor freight , I invested 100 for a nicer one. or you can have the paint dealer load spray cans so you don't need an air compressor. if the seals are worn it may slowly leak the refrigerant and you'll be back to needing to recharge it or rebuild the compressor.

old fridges will have Freon, If a pro works on it I think it needs to be recollected and recharged with the newer refrigerants it's not poisonous but it's bad for the environment to an appliance guy can collect it and refill with modern refrigerant.

If you buy an old fridge, dont; just make sure it runs, you want to see if shut off too and see if it runs too often.