Vintage Fridge Shopping

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Vintage Fridge Shopping

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:$ 0.00 + $50.00 for two great fridges ?

Maybe less. I'm going to bicker.

Willa wrote:The minimalist exterior is pleasant and classic. Maybe you could get tempered glass custom cut for the bin lids (unclear exactly how these look) ?

Can't. The lid is also the shelf, housed in a complex stainless steel frame that has a track for the drawer to slide in, with hangers, stops, trim, etc.

Willa wrote:I'd say you've had a streak of very good fortune.

I agree. I'm pleased and grateful to have found these. I suspect they're a year or two apart, so may not be an exact match, however. I may have to keep looking. A refrigerator addict - now there's a sustainable habit...

Willa wrote:Since the fridges are smaller than today's coffins, I suggest using glass storage containers in squares and rectangles...

Done. I've been acquiring refrigerator containers (glass top and bottom) for 30 years. That's a bit of an exaggeration; when I had enough, I stopped, then broke one and started looking again - but I have quite a few. A friend who works in the plastic industry told me NEVER store food in plastic. "Just don't." he said. I heeded his advice and never do.

Willa wrote:p.s. Tried to reply to your PM but your setting won't allow replies ?

Oops. I'll fix that. I must have done that back when people were being mean to me.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Well, you obviously need a third fridge to get that shelf/lids ! You're on a roll - don't stop looking now.

I lost my PM reply to you. Mostly it was my huffing and puffing about how vintage appliances are somewhat scarce in this area, no repair people, etc.etc.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I'm sorry and don't mean to be insensitive with my fridge news. I think that sort of thing comes in waves, though. Something will show up.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I found another one - and it has the part I'm looking for (the glass shelf above the bottom bins). They're asking $250 (that's like five refrigerators!) but it's been listed for a month. We'll see how flexible they are on price and I may make the trek down to New Jersey to get it.

Willa

Post by Willa »

If you get that one, you are only in $ 300.00 deep. It becomes a problem when you have to start renting storage space for all your vintage fridges to live...

p.s. Check ebay for that shelf part. It might be available for less than $ 250.00 ?

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:If you get that one, you are only in $ 300.00 deep. It becomes a problem when you have to start renting storage space for all your vintage fridges to live...

p.s. Check ebay for that shelf part. It might be available for less than $ 250.00 ?

$300? You underestimate my powers of negotiation. (I'm terrible at it, actually.)

I've got the space, but two should be enough. I don't really need the one in Longmeadow if I get the one in Jersey, the only thing the Longmeadow one has that the NJ one hasn't is the manual; I'd be paying $50 for a manual. I know how to use a refrigerator. (I have experience.)

eBay doesn't have the shelf, or I didn't find it.
Last edited by Manalto on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:I'm sorry and don't mean to be insensitive with my fridge news. I think that sort of thing comes in waves, though. Something will show up.

While I am envious I do not feel any deep sorrow or grief about your good luck/my new homely fridge. I am enjoying your shopping.

I am looking periodically, just to look, but am currently hot on the trail of some appropriate replacement trim/doorcasings for my kitchen. A couple of sellers seem to have acceptable antique trim, etc. I want, but both are being quite laconic about setting up a meeting so as to take my $$$.

The only local place that can mill trim to match has been equally slow, and the people there I have communicated with seem to need to talk to ten people up the foodchain before I can even get a ballpark quote. So far it's looking like $ 500.00 just to get the knives made, then another $ 3.00/per linear foot - all of which seems high.

Buying fine fridges for $ 0.00 and $ 50.00 seems dreamy to me. Keep the shopping tales coming !

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:eBay doesn't have the shelf, or I didn't find it.

Correction: Ebay doesn't have the shelf TODAY which doesn't mean it won't show up tomorrow or next week. There's also the Old Appliance Club which I think has (or had) buy and sell listings. Maybe you and another fridge owner can swap things out until you both walk away feeling like you got the better deal.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

You should be able to tap the dent out of the kick plate on the bottom. I'd recommend using a hammer and dolly, available from most auto suppliers (Harbor freight might even have a cheap set).

The fridge looks great - one of the classic Mid Century models.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Update: the fridge in New Jersey with all the missing parts has been sold - and not to me. (The nerve!) So back to Plan B (or was it A?) I'm sorry I missed it but glad to be relieved of the chore of driving through NYC to get there.

The Worcester fridge has received the polishing-compound treatment and a coat of Simoniz. Doing this reminded me of what cars were like before they used clearcoat.