Vintage Fridge Shopping

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Mick_VT

Re: Vintage Fridge Shopping

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:I've always thought of Worcester as one of those New England towns that enjoyed a period of prosperity and whose glory has faded.

My sense is that was true at one time but now it's seen very much as Boston commuter territory... but who knows I am up here in the frozen North, we just get visited by the "flatlanders" all time, and rarely actually get down there :lol:
Mick...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Mick_VT wrote:"flatlanders"

As a swamp Yankee, I guess I'm one rung lower. 8-)

Mick_VT wrote:...rarely actually get down there :lol:

Conceptually is the way to get down here; it saves on gas and aggravation!

Beer (Two Roads 'Road to Ruin') is chilling. Breakfast of champions!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:Beer (Two Roads 'Road to Ruin') is chilling. Breakfast of champions!

That stuff for breakfast will kill a day quite nicely :lol: - try "Lil Heaven" for Breakfast if you need to get stuff done ;)
Mick...

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Mick, I wasn't serious. It's iced coffee for me. I will, however, check into Lil Heaven.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Willa wrote:
Olson185 wrote:My comment was under the assumption one would want the appliance to be retrofitted to meet safety codes.

This is the first I have heard of the Stove Lady. How much does an upgrade like this cost ?

If you send the Stove Lady the year and model # of your gas stove, she could give you an est. and whether or not it's needed.

I only recall we paid something like $300-$400 for the 1953 Chambers Model C stove (off Craigs List) and the total came to about $1,600-$1,800. This total includes purchase price, pick-up in Chappaqua, NY, 20 mile delivery to Stove Lady in Yonkers, NY, all her work to clean and restore the stove, pick-up and 50 mile delivery to us.

The part to which I'm referring is the thing with the red button. If any of the pilot lights blow out the gas is automatically shut off. These things cost anywhere between $20 to $200+ depending on whatever it is that makes one choose one over the other.

~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Pictures please :D

Cant wait to see your new arrivals!

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

One tip I forgot to mention - if you transport an older refrigerator on its side, let it sit upright for about 24 hours or so before powering it up. The reason for this is so the oil in the compressor can resettle.

Glad you were able to get them both! Hopefully you'll never need to part the other one out, but it's good to know it's there if you need it.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Olson185 wrote:I only recall we paid something like $300-$400 for the 1953 Chambers Model C stove (off Craigs List) and the total came to about $1,600-$1,800. This total includes purchase price, pick-up in Chappaqua, NY, 20 mile delivery to Stove Lady in Yonkers, NY, all her work to clean and restore the stove, pick-up and 50 mile delivery to us.

The part to which I'm referring is the thing with the red button. If any of the pilot lights blow out the gas is automatically shut off. These things cost anywhere between $20 to $200+ depending on whatever it is that makes one choose one over the other.

I've heard of her before. It's good to hear a testimonial of her work and that her prices sound reasonable.

We've got a Chambers model 61C from around 1950 in the basement that came with the house. Someone had set up one corner of the basement as a summer kitchen, probably for home canning. Unfortunately, it's probably going to wind up being a parts donor for another one, as the interior has significant rust and corrosion. I started disassembling it a few years ago and found that the condition was much worse than I had originally thought. My goal is to track down a better one sometime in the future.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Kashka-Kat wrote:Pictures please

Here's the Worcester fridge:
Image1949 GE refrigerator by James McInnis, on Flickr

I rushed off to the store and got both rubbing and polishing compound (forgetting the appliance bulb), then when I got home, discovered that Barkeeper's Friend soft scrub works much better at removing the grime and oxidized paint; it has just the right amount of abrasive. I can probably smooth out that crease in the bottom panel since it's easy to get at from behind. It's not as bad as it looks; the sideways light accentuates it here. The refrigerator isn't perfect (it's got plenty of nicks and dings) but it's good enough for who it's for. :roll:

Here's the interior:
Image1949 GE refrigerator interior by James McInnis, on Flickr

It would be snazzier if I had the interior light on, but you know how it goes. Missing is the "Vegetables" bin and cover. (Didn't GE designers know the plural of fruit is still fruit?) The Longmeadow fridge (the other one) has the veggie bin, but not the glass top. It also has some half shelves that I may install (you can see where one goes up against the freezer - plus that coveted manual.

In the upper-left wall of the fridge is the butter compartment, presumably to keep it at a spreadable temperature. Pretty de Luxe, eh? I never see that on new refrigerators, but I admit I don't look at many.

Image1949 GE butter compartment by James McInnis, on Flickr

I've only done a preliminary cleaning; that's crud in the grooves of the temperature dial and the compartment door handle.

Here's the freezer. This was the most nostalgic feature for me - maybe because that's where the lemon ice from Livecchi's (Italian bakery) was kept when I was a kid. I'll have to get my hands on a couple of aluminum ice trays.

Image1949 GE freezer compartment by James McInnis, on Flickr

Well, that's it. It's a pretty generic-looking appliance, not as stylish as designs that came before and after, but I like its mellow appearance. I'll finish cleaning it up, get it looking glossy, replace the gasket and I should be good to go.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

$ 0.00 + $50.00 for two great fridges ?

The minimalist exterior is pleasant and classic. Maybe you could get tempered glass custom cut for the bin lids (unclear exactly how these look) ?

I'd say you've had a streak of very good fortune.

Since the fridges are smaller than today's coffins, I suggest using glass storage containers in squares and rectangles as the round containers waste too much fridge space. I bought ones at the local dollar store that were similar to the vintage pyrex refrigerator dishes, but with plastic snap on lids. Work great, and they can be securely stacked.

p.s. Tried to reply to your PM but your setting won't allow replies ?